Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-05-2008, 01:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Help! Our skylight is leaking and the sky is falling!

Well, not really. Not yet, anyway.

But last night when it rained, we noticed that a chunk of paint and some plaster had fallen onto the floor from the skylight area above in our hallway.

The skylight is about 20 years old. It's on a relatively flat part of the roof, and while we've seen a very faint moisture spot on the ceiling and walls around it, and some paint peeling off, things didn't get really bad until last night, when that chunk fell.

A couple of weeks ago, a fix-it friend went up to the roof, took the skylight off to see if the moisture was coming through from there, and put it back on. But in the back of my mind I thought, "Man, I hope he put that thing back on right!"

I'm afraid he didn't. And it's raining cats and dogs. I put a bucket under the area where the leak is, and the leak is only a few drips. But I'm worried that the ceiling will collapse from the moisture. It's drywall, plaster, I think. Do you think we're in danger? Yikes. And will we have to to replace all that ceiling and walls? That is, will the moisture stay in there?

Finally, we called our roofer, who is coming in a day or so. But there's much more rain predicted.

Does anyone have any immediate thoughts?

Thanks!

Puzzledone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzledone View Post

But last night when it rained, we noticed that a chunk of paint and some plaster had fallen onto the floor from the skylight area above in our hallway.

The skylight is about 20 years old. It's on a relatively flat part of the roof, and while we've seen a very faint moisture spot on the ceiling and walls around it, and some paint peeling off, things didn't get really bad until last night, when that chunk fell.

A couple of weeks ago, a fix-it friend went up to the roof, took the skylight off to see if the moisture was coming through from there, and put it back on. But in the back of my mind I thought, "Man, I hope he put that thing back on right!"

I'm afraid he didn't. And it's raining cats and dogs. I put a bucket under the area where the leak is, and the leak is only a few drips. But I'm worried that the ceiling will collapse from the moisture. It's drywall, plaster, I think. Do you think we're in danger? Yikes. And will we have to to replace all that ceiling and walls? That is, will the moisture stay in there?

Finally, we called our roofer, who is coming in a day or so. But there's much more rain predicted.

Does anyone have any immediate thoughts?

Thanks!
Tarp it if possible,what kind of roof is on there?

johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk View Post
Tarp it if possible,what kind of roof is on there?
a tile roof--the bendable kind of tiles, that is.
Unfortunately, it's 2:00 am and I can't tarp it tonight, but tomorrow, that's my first priority.

Do you think the ceiling will fall in? Or just a hole will form?
Old 06-05-2008, 02:19 AM   #4

I really don't think the ceiling will fall down,maybe a few small pieces around the skylight.Your not in any danger,IMO.If you can stop the water from entering for the next couple of days until your roofer gets there,you'll be fine.A good roofer will have an immediate remedy for you,but please replace the skylight,it's really old!!!Take care-John
Old 06-05-2008, 12:16 PM   #5

Thanks, John. That puts my mind at ease. Someone in the family thinks they saw a loose tile near the skylight, so that may be part of the problem, but replacing the skylight sounds like a good long-term plan.
Thank you!
Old 06-05-2008, 01:34 PM   #6

Flashings around a tile roof are much more complicated than on a standard composition shingle roof, which most so-called roofers still screw up.

Make sure you get someone with plenty of experience in tile roofing from your area.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
Flashings around a tile roof are much more complicated than on a standard composition shingle roof, which most so-called roofers still screw up.

Make sure you get someone with plenty of experience in tile roofing from your area.

Ed
Ed,
Our shingles are the flexible black kind--with the grainy stuff and black tar-looking surface. Are those standard shingles?
Old 06-06-2008, 12:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Ed,
Our shingles are the flexible black kind--with the grainy stuff and black tar-looking surface. Are those standard shingles?
Yes,they sound like standard shingles.Tiles are different,they are not flexible.I think thats what Ed was saying,tiles are more complicated.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk View Post
Yes,they sound like standard shingles.Tiles are different,they are not flexible.I think thats what Ed was saying,tiles are more complicated.
Thanks, John! This puts my mind at ease a bit
Old 06-06-2008, 01:06 AM   #10

I sometimes forget that some home owners refer to their roofing shingle products as "Tiles".

Sorry for the confusion.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
I sometimes forget that some home owners refer to their roofing shingle products as "Tiles".

Sorry for the confusion.

Ed
No problemo, Ed!
Thanks for your help
Old 06-07-2008, 02:10 PM   #12

I just talked to our roofer. He said our fix-it friend never should have taken the skylight off. In so doing he broke the seal that kept out the water. Grrrrrrr.

Lesson learned. NEVER let a fix-it friend take a skylight off unless he's a roofer and/or knows REALLY WELL what he's doing.

Thanks, everyone !
Old 06-08-2008, 06:15 PM   #13
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

A couple of weeks ago, a fix-it friend went up to the roof, took the skylight off to see if the moisture was coming through from there, and put it back on. But in the back of my mind I thought, "Man, I hope he put that thing back on right!"Did your roofer fix the first problem that your freind was trying to fix????

Last edited by buletbob; 06-08-2008 at 06:17 PM.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post

Did your roofer fix the first problem that your freind was trying to fix????
Not yet...he's a busy guy but says he'll get to it this week. He suspects the broken seal. The window of the skylight seems to be fine, so no need (in my humble opinion) to pay for a new window. Seems that he'll need to caulk around the skylight to seal it again. Any ideas??
Old 06-08-2008, 07:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Not yet...he's a busy guy but says he'll get to it this week. He suspects the broken seal. The window of the skylight seems to be fine, so no need (in my humble opinion) to pay for a new window. Seems that he'll need to caulk around the skylight to seal it again. Any ideas??
Um a new skylight,lol