Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2010, 08:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Help!!!! New roof leaking!!!

Ok, here is EXACTLY what I did. I put on a new addition, and have just finished the roof. I put in 3 vents, so the heat from the attic area could vent out easily. I used 1/2" plywood for my decking and used felt, overlapping as I went towards the top. The very top seam, where the two peices of plywood meet is now leaking. I have flashed everything correctly, or at least I thought I did, but now do I need to remove the shingles by the top where the seam is and flash it, just to ensure it doesn't leak anymore? I really think it is leaking around the vents, but I have caulked the crap out of it with black tubed tar.

Attached is the inside of the rafters, which shows the seam all the way across the top edge of the roof, which is exactly where it is leaking. Is it possible that the leak could be coming from between the flashing and the wall of the house, because there is a small gap where the vinyl siding will cover, but currently is not, because I haven't put the siding on. Basically, I have flashing from where the roof meets the house, and is flashed and caulked very liberally where it meets the shingles, plus all the nail holes as well. Where it is actually attached to the side of the house is where it isn't flush and is definitely a gap there.

Any suggestions? Hopefully I didn't talk in circles. Let me know if more photos are needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Help!!!! New roof leaking!!!-roofline-pic.jpg   Help!!!! New roof leaking!!!-roof-seam.jpg  

psychomti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

With the right slope you do not need caulk around the vents
Pics of the top of the roof ?

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:25 PM   #3

Here is a close up of where the seam is that is leaking. I just found out that it IS in fact leaking around the vent now.

The pitch is the minimum 2/12 pitch for shingles. Let me go outside real quick and snap a few more pics of the roof. It is currently raining, but I'll go take some. Stand by...

Actually, it is raining too hard and lightning right now. Only really worried about the camera at this point. So, it will have to wait until later. Sucks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Help!!!! New roof leaking!!!-roof-vent-edit.jpg  
Old 07-26-2010, 08:47 PM   #4

Ok, I went out there on the roof, raining and lightning too, and this is what I got. the first pic you will see the flashing up against the wall, just as I had explained, the top part, which will be covered with the siding, is not all the way against the wall, some of it is, but some of it isn't. The bottom part of the flashing is nailed directly to the top of the shingles with tar over each nailhole. For asthetic reasons, I simply put shingle pieces on top of the flashing so the bright silver isn't showing. you can see the tar line at the bottom of the flashing where it meets the roof. The other pic you can see where I put the vent in and caulked all the way around it.
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2010, 08:48 PM   #5

If you need bigger pics, I'll send them. Just let me know.

I'm REALLY thinking that the gap between the wall and the flashing is what the problem is. I have sealed every other place I can think of, to include around the entire area where the vents are, as you can see. I think I will try to reflash that top area, but instead of ripping it all out, what is the best way to get that flashing to adhere to the wood siding? I have tried to nail every 16" to where it will meet a stud, but the freaking outside wall on the house isn't straight, so the flashing didn't lay against the wall perfectly. Should I get some other type of flashing and flash over the top of it, then retar the seems, or should I just try to adhere it to the wall a little better? Any suggestions at this point will be very appreciated.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:05 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

you have to get the wall underlayment over the endwall flashing so water dosn't get behind it
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:50 AM   #7
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,016

Half of the vent is supposed to be on top of the shingles, not under them.
The wall flashing go on top of the roof, not under the shingles.
All the caulk needs to be removed. Caulks main purpose is to redirect water under the shingles. As you can see, it's doing it's job.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:09 AM   #8

The flashing is on top of the shingles. It is nailed directly on top of the last layer. For asthetic reasons, I glued the colored pieces to the flashing so you wouldn't see the shiny metal. So, basically I need to fix the flashing where it meets the house as well as the roof vents right? I have the bottom part of the vents exposed, there the other parts are under the shingles. I thought that was how it was supposed to be done. At least that's what it looks like online.

Tom, when you say the wall underlayment, do you mean the foamboard that is behind the vinyl siding. That is my plan, just didn't get to that before it rained. Shouldn't I put something between the foamboard insulation an the flashing, just in case water does get in between there somehow or do you think that will be good enough. So I need to caulkd the seams of the foamboard before I put that last peice of siding over the flashing.

As far as the vents go, can I just the bottom two edges of the shingles that cover the bottom of the vent flashing, then caulking the edges of the flashing real well? Input the peel and stick window flashing on the vents before I even put the shingles on, just didn't put it on the exposed flashing in the front.

Believe it or not, your info is very helpful.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:14 AM   #9

One more quick question, should I have put the vent on first, then felt paper, then shingles, or was it ok to put the vent on top of the tar paper? Please keep in mind, this is the first "real" roof job i have done that included vents in the roof. I have done several sheds, cabanas, and covered decks, so I just want to make sure it is done right. I gotta fix this before I put the insulation and the sheetrock, which will be too late to fix it then.

Thanks again for your help!!
Old 07-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #10
MJW

Rewards Points: 500

The rain is bouncing off the roof because it is falling from the upper roof. Many wierd things happen then. The flashing is leaking and that's why it is coming in at the seem in the sheathing. Get a gutter on the upper roof, and use some I&W on that wall on top of the flashing.

Where is your subfascia? That should be on before you shingle.

The vents on top of the felt is fine. The shingles keep the water out. Too bad you didn't make a steeper pitch.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:02 PM   #11

MJW,

Good idea about the gutter, I was actually thinking of doing that anyway, especially since it is very accessible now since the other roof is there. As far as the pitch, yeah, in hindsight, maybe I should have went with something a little steeper but didn't want to get too close to the 2nd floor window. As you can see in the pics, I only have about 6" of space between the flashing and the bottom of the window as it is, and Yeah, I realized maybe I should have the subfacia on there prior to the shingles. However, what do you suggest I use now as a facia since the shingles are about 1/2 past the end of the drip edge.

Thanks!!

Mike

I was thinking of using 1x material, which I think just may be right at the edge of the shingles since I didn't put a fascia board on there at all. Hope I didn't screw myself on this one. I see now why it is important to have your fascia up first.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:21 PM   #12
Pro Slate Roofer

No caulk around the vents!

Here are typical pix of vents that leak. The caulk causes the leaks. And, not having the shingles near the top of the hole before placing the vent causes leaks.
Like this power vent. http://www.albertsroofing.com/Power%...stallation.htm And what shingles do go on top get their corners clipped too.
If you insist on using caulk, when half the shingles are down and you're ready to place the vent, put abead around the hole and seat the vent in it. NOWHERE else.

Somehow, a wrong pic got posted. I think the dog caused that.
Attached Thumbnails
Help!!!! New roof leaking!!!-100_1792.jpg   Help!!!! New roof leaking!!!-1010091040.jpg   Help!!!! New roof leaking!!!-1013091340a.jpg  
Old 07-27-2010, 03:25 PM   #13
Pro Slate Roofer

I like 1-1/2" past the fascia.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:40 PM   #14

The reason why I caulked around the vents is because the vent wasn't laying flat on the roof. Do I need to rip out the vent and start over? So, let me get this right, is this the proper steps in putting in a vent like I have?

1. Felt paper
2. cut the hole
3. Put vent over the hole and nail down
4. Shingle around the vent, even on top
5. leave the bottom flashing showing with no shingles on top

Now, by doing the steps above, in my head I could see it leaking more because it was not sealed very well to the shingles. The main reason I did this is because of teh 2/12 pitch vs something a little steeper. I just didn't want the water to sit on the shingles and then seep its way between the shingle and the vent. Tell me if I am wrong, but in my head I thought I had done it correctly.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:15 PM   #15

Also, not to be a jerk in return, but you stated that if I had done my "research" then I would know that I have used the wrong product. So, I guess every site on the Internet, to include this one, every diy book that I have at home, the local building codes, AND the instructions on the bundled shingles themselves, are all wrong? Really? So, before you start throwing insults, make sure YOUR facts are correct. I do appreciate your help, because I now know what I have to fix, but asking me things like OSB in the dirt or 2x4 over 16' span... Really??

Yeah I pulled a permit