Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #1

Share |

Help me figure how many shingles

I have a simple gable roof that is 14' long and 40' wide. I am looking at these shingles from Lowes.
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...532&cId=detail

How many packs do I need to complete this?

jaredborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #2

14' is the length of the building or the length of the roof. If the roof section is 14'x40 times two sides then you need 1120 SQft. Call it 1200 to allow for wastage.
You need 13 bundles.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #3

I've attached a diagram.
Attached Thumbnails
Help me figure how many shingles-untitled-1.jpg  
Old 09-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #4

Btw, you say 13 bundles. The lowes specs say 3 bundles per square... so do I need 39? or 13?
Old 09-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Where did you guys get either of those numbers?
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (09-08-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 12:26 AM   #6
STAFF

There are three bundles to a square unless they are doing things different now days. 12 squares would be 36 bundles.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:28 AM   #7
registered

I'm assuming joed he ment 13 square which is 13 x 3 = 39 Lowe's sells by bundles not roofing square. Which makes them OUTRAGEOUS ON PRICE. My lowes is showing 32.97 per bundle x 3 = 98.91 a square. ABC where i live is around 85 a square for landmarks. Give or take a few bucks. But not 98. I would go 13 or 39. You can always return any un open bundles. Finally don't forget matching ridge cap shingles. Not sure how they work for OC's. Landmarks one bundle covers 30 linear feet.

ps. Just for the hell of it. See if you have a ABC supply in your area. Call them up and ask how much are you getting for a square of Landmarks. I bet he won't say 98.91. I'm thinking 85-89 range.

Last edited by 747; 09-05-2013 at 02:34 AM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:43 AM   #8

Don't forget starters and caps, drip edge, felt, pipe boots, flashing if applicable, ridge vent if applicable, ......
Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:54 AM   #9

....hauling, disposal fees..... Is that price roof-top delivery?
daveb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #10

That's what we ended up doing is buying them from ABC, (actually Bradco, which ABC owns)
If you have the roof stripped and papered you could even have them roof top delivered for about the same prices as Lowes and HD are charging for just dropping on the ground.
That's the hardest part of any roofing job is getting them up on the roof.
They show up with a truck with a long conveyer belt on it, all you have to do is catch the shingles as they come off the belt and lay them out across the roof line.
NEVER LAY AN UNOPENED BUNDLE OF SHINGLES OVER THE PEAK OF THE ROOF!
It can damage the shingles.
Always a good idea to install a ridge vent if there is none and block off all your other vents.
Do not try and reuse your old roof jacks! Replace them.
No drip caps on the edges of the roof, add them to the whole roof not just the lower edges, your fascia's will thank you.
Lay a tarp over any shrubs and lay one on the ground where your dropping the shingles so the nails do not end up in the grass and the shingles do not get caught up in the bushes.
I strongly suggest stripping the roof to bare sheathing, not just roofing over the old!
Mow the lawn before stripping to make it easier to find the nails.
Make 100% sure there's enough over hang! There's been a lot of posters here that show pictures of all the roof and inside wall damage from this one simple roofing 101 mistake.
I like to see 1" on the lower edge so the water drops into the gutters not run behind them.
Get yourself a caulk line with red caulk to make sure your laying them straight.
Go on line and down load the company's install directions or at least read the directions right on the bundles.
Time and time again we have had people here that have installed the shingles using the white nailing line to set the shingle exposures. Completely wrong! And only way to fix it is to remove all of them and start over.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #11

I know that normally you have 3 bundles per square. The Lowes page is a bit confusing.
I see now that it also says three bundles per square on the left, so you would need three times 13.
I got my number from the right side of the Lowes page. It says shingles per bundle 20-22 and covers 98 square feet feet.

Last edited by joed; 09-05-2013 at 07:32 AM.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #12
STAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
I know that normally you have 3 bundles per square. The Lowes page is a bit confusing.
I see now that it also says three bundles per square on the left, so you would need three times 13.
I got my number from the right side of the Lowes page. It says shingles per bundle 20-22 and covers 98 square feet feet.
You are right about Lowe's site being confusing. Way back when I did do some roofing there were 27 shingles per bundle, looks like things have changed.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #13
Roofmaster

A roofing square is 100 square feet, or an area 10' x 10' There used to be three bundles of 27 shingles per bundle with three tabs, and four bundles per square with architectural shingles, but that may have changed.

Like the other guys said, you need ridge and hip shingles, starter course, underlayment and plastic cap nails for the felt, (Dont use a freakin whammer hammer) and of course roofing nails. I would use 1.5 inch rooking nails if you are hand nailing, and ASTM D226 Felt not the crapola shingle underlayment. Dont forget ice dams, drip edge for the eaves and rakes, pipe jacks and base and counter flashing. You want to clad your fascia with aluminum too.

Not to be offensive, but if you cant figure out square footage, you may be in over your head.

jagans is online now   Reply With Quote