Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2014, 11:42 AM   #1

Share |

Help it looks like poor attic ventilation

2 story colonial house in upstate ny attic area apprx. 1100 sqft I noticed some wet spots on the ceiling checked the attic and it has blown cellulose insulation at least 12 to 18 in deep checked suffit it's not blocked insulated till outside wall with rafters between gables no ridge vent but 5 roof vents on top. I don't know if this is enough for proper ventilation but boards looks wet some light frost on the sides walls some dark black dust on it tells me it's moisture problem very light musty smell the house is only 13 years old outside perforated suffit all the way around seems like everything done ok but problem exists help any suggestions advices highly appreciated
P.S. So much for American dream. I can't sleep at nights.

Atticissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:08 PM   #2

You just have a typical problem where it is believed that venting, baffles and insulation piled nearly to the rafters will prevent ice dams. In reality, all that insulation is good to save on your heating cost but that's about it.

At some point the outdoor ambient temperature causes melting of snow and or ice and the insulation only elevated that temperature at where that takes place. If you want to avoid water in your walls/ceiling provide drainage for that melt liquid. That's the only sure way to avoid the problem completely.

Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:44 PM   #3

It doesn't seems like ice dams there's no icicles on the roof or snow build ups I'm not sure if I add ridge vent and close roof vents maybe this will increase air flow and stop the problem, not to mention this winter was crazy you have 40 degrees one day and 40 below the next day.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:08 PM   #4

You are getting warm,moist house air into the attic. Air sealing the attic floor will help a lot. Good luck!
roofermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:05 PM   #5

Also sounds 3 turtle vents short (25%) for /150 minimum; http://www.airvent.com/homeowner/pro...it-specs.shtml

Gary
Old 02-12-2014, 07:00 PM   #6

It has blown insulation it means you have to remove old and redo it again
Old 02-12-2014, 07:19 PM   #7

Did you check in attic above the wet spots, for insulation or water dripping from a roof leak? Are they near the soffit vents?

Gary
Old 02-12-2014, 11:07 PM   #8

It's seems the whole sheathing looks wet some frost on it even gable walls there's some black spots on the sheathing tells me it's condensation problem I opened soffit to see if they block by insulation and there not. Some black dust on top of soffits from inside again tells me it's condensation. I don't understand I have perforated soffits all around 5 roof vents on top rafters and blown insulation around 18 inch or more and problem exists. I only was able to see from attic opening couldn't go in because of blown insulation and can't see where to step.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:35 PM   #9

Check for a dryer/bath venting in attic.... with 15" cellulose, I doubt it's house air unless a big chase was missed before blow-in. Are the pin-hole openings in soffit clean- they collect moisture- then clog with dirt from the restriction; http://www.blocktheheat.com/ventproblems.htm

Are the soffit vents showing daylight from above the attic access hatch or are they just perforated ones over solid sheathing....look fine from outside/below.

Gary
roofermann (02-13-2014)
Old 02-13-2014, 08:08 AM   #10

No I do not see day light I see ends of rafters and blown insulation but no daylight outside soffit looks good and it's not plugged up and nothing on top of soffit insulation comes out to the edge of outside wall and rafters I'm thinking maybe some moisture is normal than but I shouldn't have some wet spots on the ceiling I even checked attic in my garage it's not blown in insulation and garage is not heated and I see daylight and boards looks brand new.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:06 PM   #11

During the day when it is light out; from attic, you should be able to see most of the soffit holes emitting some light to the sheathing/rafter framing. If not; figure when they installed the vinyl soffit material, they did so over solid wood existing originally. It looks great from the ground but punched vinyl soffit is only 4.78 NFVA (center vent) per square foot. http://bluelinxco.com/Portals/0/docs...20Brochure.pdf

Are the holes in each board?

Gary
PS. punctuation is your friend....
Old 02-13-2014, 09:53 PM   #12

It's a perforated soffit all the way around I think I don't have enough exhaust I only have 5 roof vents and it's a barely does it for the code should I add more vents are perhaps power vent or closed this vents and do a ridge vent?
Old 02-14-2014, 03:01 PM   #13

IMO, get the attic up to the /150 requirement as you have cellulose which drys better (somewhere for the moisture to evaporate/wick to) with air above it, at least until it crusts over in a few years... My point was; if you cannot see all the holes with light from them in soffit- they may be plugged at the soffit sub-sheeting---- hidden above what you see from the ground. Since you have cellulose (a good air restrict) it is important you have adequate air supply at soffits. As you have existing turtle (exhaust) vents- though could add a few or go continuous ridge vent- the excess moisture is -IMO- not enough soffit vents. If you cannot access the soffits to check/visually see, you will need to remove some panels on the exterior side to verify they are indeed open clear through. Some siding installers add soffit venting while there is solid wood soffits with minimal cut-outs, as in my link supplied earlier.
The cellulose isn't drying due to lack of air flow above it or may be touching the baffles at those areas.... hope you have baffles- not touching sheathing directly.

Gary

Last edited by Gary in WA; 02-14-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:51 PM   #14

I have buffles and I took portion of soffit and nothing on top of soffit to block them. Insulation comes to the exterior wall which it should. I'm thinking that maybe not enough exhaust and warm moist air gets trap. Maybe power vent or replace vents with ridge vent will help.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:32 PM   #15

IMO, ridge vent over power vent.

Gary