DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

help identifying site of roof leak

997 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Roofmaster417 
#1 ·
I had a new asphalt shingle roof put on my house about 6 years ago. I am not sure how to describe my roof style, sorry I don't have a picture. It is a hip roof with a flat top, although I don't think its a mansard. We have box gutters as well.

As part of a master suite project we are doing, the third floor just below the roof has been gutted for a few weeks, and I have noticed several spots that are leaking. I am thinking this may have happening over the past several years, but the leaks are not too brisk and it was getting absorbed by the insulation and plaster without us noticing.

Here is what confuses me: We have had several rainstorms, and it seems to leak in one place, then stop leaking, then start leaking somewhere else. Overall there are 5 or 6 places where I have noticed it leaking so far.

Basically, any thoughts on what is going on here. In speaking to several folks, one theory is a problem where the flat roof meets the pitched roof, with water getting underneath the shingles here and then dripping through different spots as it runs down: is something like this even possible? I find it hard to believe there are leaks in so many different spots unless it was a real shoddy job to begin with.

I have not gone up onto that part of the roof to look, I can if it might be helpful.

Thanks!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.