Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Help with fixing a roof

Hi there,

This is my first post (of many, I hope) on this forum.

Just a year ago, I had a house built on the tropical island of Bali. The house was just about finished in the middle of the dry season and everything looked fantastic. The mood quickly changed once the raining season started in all its glory and leaks appeared at a terrifying rate. The raining season is almost finished now, and I will have about 5 months of perfect dry conditions to fix it properly.

My roof pitch of 7/12 (about 30) is the minimum recommended in this country, so no real problem with that. My ceramic roof tiles, however, are made locally (hand-pressed), and are not heated enough to create strong tiles; hence they are brittle and not all the same size (size variation of about 1 to 2 cm). Moreover, I have noticed that the builder did not respect the minimum 7.5 cm (3 inches) overlap. The tile overlap on my roof varies from 4 (1.6 inches) to 7 cm (2.75 inches), which might pretty much explain the leaks. Current tiles are 30 cm (11.8 inches) long, and current batten distance is 23 cm (9 inches).

I am planning to buy some stronger and longer tiles of about 33 cm (13 inches), and I am planning to install them without changing the current batten distance (9 inches) to increase the overlap of each tile, and in turn stop the leaks. Does it make sense to do that? Do you think it will help? The only downside of doing this, I think, is that I will have more tiles per m2, which will be more costly.

Thanks for your help.

Daniel

danielstassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
Pro Slate Roofer

Help with fixing a roof

The more lap the merrier. With tile and slate, minimum, and only on steep roofs is 3". 4" or so should do you fine.

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #3

Help with fixing a roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
The more lap the merrier. With tile and slate, minimum, and only on steep roofs is 3". 4" or so should do you fine.
That's what I thought! Thanks for confirming this

All my tiles are way below the minimum lap of 3''. The builder probably ripped me off as he used less tiles and could finish the roof faster...
danielstassen is offline   Reply With Quote