Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2008, 11:57 PM   #1

Share |

Help...advice needed

I have a ranch style home built in 1965. It has a metal roof with a large gable at each end. The roof has an overhand of about 10" or so. There are open/ exposed rafter ends but no real fully boxed out soffit.
There are no other vents in the roof for attic ventalation.
I would like to improve my attic ventalation as we are in texas and the attic gets very very hot in the summer.
Any suggestions?
  • Can I install either the round vents or square vents into the vertical blocking between the exposed rafter ends?
  • Would an attic fan help?
  • If so what model is the best?
  • Can a ridge vent be added to a metal roof? How much would something like that cost?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

citadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:09 AM   #2
Doing This Way Too Long

Help...advice needed

For that style of house the optimal venting system is yes, venting the blocking between your rafters and yes, we always install vented ridge systems in metal roofs. Depending on what style and manufacturer you have on there, you can probably actually find the vented ridge spec online. Don't know about there but around here for the soffit venting it's three or four 2-3" holes in each bay with screening stapled to the back. Not sure how difficult this would be as a retrofit but it is the ideal way to vent your attic with that metal roof.

If you could get a closeup pic of the eave of your roof showing the legs of your metal panel, we should be able to be a little more specific.

OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:30 PM   #3

Help...advice needed

here are some pictures of the eave area and roof...

any thoughts on improving ventilation?
Attached Thumbnails
Help...advice needed-resized2_resized2_resized2_dsci1901.jpg   Help...advice needed-resized2_dsci1902.jpg   Help...advice needed-resized2_dsci1897.jpg  
citadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:38 PM   #4
Doing This Way Too Long

Help...advice needed

Well, I'm not saying it will be easy to vent that blocking but the design is exactly what I thought it was. If it looks like you can remove the blocking, you'll want to drill four 2" holes in each blocking and back it with a fine mesh screen. Then you will have to make sure your insulation isn't blocking them using cardboard blocking behind it. As I said above, we build them like this but I've never retrofitted one so can't tell you the difficulty of it.

As far as the ridge, that looks to be a vented ridge cap. Whether your ridge is cut open or the vented ridge is installed properly I don't know, you'll have to consult a local roofer in your area knowledgeable about metal systems to physically inspect it. That ridge should have 1 1/2" cut away on either side of the ridge and the same screen installed (we install it before we install the panels, you would have a hard time doing that. Then there should be a J-channel flashing above all your panels as a wind block, then the ridgecap attached.

With that rolled rib on that low slope, the J-channel and proper installation is vitally important.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote