Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2012, 09:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Having roof replaced, need some advice.

I am finally having my roof replaced in the next few weeks. It's 22 yrs old, original roof, and worn out. I have repaired various sections due to leaks, but the latest round of leaks pushed me to replace it. I had a contractor inspect it, he told me to file a claim for hail and wind damage. The insurance inspector is recommending replacement and the adjuster said he will go with that recommendation. I am slightly giddy about this as I was looking down the barrel of a big bill.

The roof is about 40 squares. The house is a ranch style with a finished attic, 10/12 pitch roof for most of it. It is shaped almost like a "U" with two gable ends on each end of the main structure. It has a total of 4 gable ends, 4 shed dormers for the finished upstairs and some smaller maybe 6/12 pitch areas that cover the front porch and one back bedroom.

Sorry for the long intro. My question relates to sealing the areas where the steep slope meets the porch and bedroom areas. My buddy used GAF Weatherwatch on his roof as an extra moisture seal and recommends it. The majority of my leaks have been in these areas and I really want it solved.

Would you recommend using WeatherWatch for the area?

Are there any other "upgrades" I should consider? Ridgevents? Underlayment?

Is there any downside to upgrading to architectural shingles? I know it will cost me around $30/sq for them.

Thanks.

Marty1Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
RFN-4A-LVN

Moisture guard is a great product.Depending on where your located I recommend valley's,rakelines,eaves,chimney's,(front,sides,ba ck) also around pipes,vents,skylights,basically all roof penetrations.Also those trantions you speak of are pitch breaks.I recommend a layer of moisture guard in all pitch breaks.

A heavy duty architectural shingle will also add to the visual appearance to your property as well as providing you peace of mind knowing you have a solid roof system.

Ventilation is a very important and often overlooked issue pertaining to your roof system.

If you have functioning soffit vents I recommend a ridge vent.A soffit and RV combo is the best IMO.

Having a quality product is only part of your focus.Having all the best top of the line products are useless if your contractor of choice lacks the knowledge and responsibility making sure the materials are installed according to manufacture recommendations.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 03-14-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roofmaster417 For This Useful Post:
Marty1Mc (03-15-2012), seeyou (03-15-2012), Windows on Wash (03-14-2012)
Old 03-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofmaster417 View Post
Moisture guard is a great product.Depending on where your located I recommend valley's,rakelines,eaves,chimney's,(front,sides,ba ck) also around pipes,vents,skylights,basically all roof penetrations.Also those trantions you speak of are pitch breaks.I recommend a layer of moisture guard in all pitch breaks.

A heavy duty architectural shingle will also add to the visual appearance to your property as well as providing you peace of mind knowing you have a solid roof system.

Ventilation is a very important and often overlooked issue pertaining to your roof system.

If you have functioning soffit vents I recommend a ridge vent.A soffit and RV combo is the best IMO.

Having a quality product is only part of your focus.Having all the best top of the line products are useless if your contractor of choice lacks the knowledge and responsibility making sure the materials are installed according to manufacture recommendations.
+1,000,000

This is about the best advice you can get.

Don't cheap out as it is always cheaper to do it right the first time.

Inspection and verfication of proper and *Passive* is key. Ice and water is cheap insurance in those areas that are more prone to leakage (valleys, eaves, roof to wall connections, pips, skylights, etc) and installation is just as critical as any other part of the process.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
Marty1Mc (03-15-2012)
Old 03-14-2012, 10:46 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. It basically backs up what my buddy recommended.

I intend to get this roof done correctly. It's a very difficult roof, with many areas that need protection. The house has something like 28 corners where the foundation juts in and out. That makes lots of areas where roof sections meet.

Also, I went with this contractor because they have done several for folks I know and they were recommended to me. I signed that if they got the insurance to agree to the damage claim, they could do the roof.

The other concern I have is the shingles. They are a certified GAF installer. So, I will be getting GAF shingles. I have seen some that love them and some that hate them, plus a lawsuit on the Timberline due to cracking. The Timberline shingle is the architectural shingle they use. So, should I be worried? What, if any, things should I put in the contract about this?
Old 03-14-2012, 11:18 PM   #5
Doing This Way Too Long

All mfrs have had their share of lawsuits. Depends on what the timeline is of the material in question really.
Also shingle mfrs quality and reputation vary widely in different regions of the country. Around here GAF/Elk has always been a popular and quality product but guys in other parts of the country hate them. I have no clue their rep in your area. You need to ask the locals their opinion of them.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
Marty1Mc (03-15-2012)
Old 03-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post
All mfrs have had their share of lawsuits. Depends on what the timeline is of the material in question really.
Also shingle mfrs quality and reputation vary widely in different regions of the country. Around here GAF/Elk has always been a popular and quality product but guys in other parts of the country hate them. I have no clue their rep in your area. You need to ask the locals their opinion of them.
That's an interesting point. I think they do pretty well around here. Several of my neighbors have them and they don't look like they have had any wear and tear after 20 yrs. My next door neighbors is 19, the one next to him is 23. Mine looked beat after 15 yrs and I have been limping it along for the last 7 yrs, but it's a standard builder grade 20 yr shingle. I have no idea who made it, but it sure as heck didn't hold up.

My buddy, who is a contractor and building inspector, recommends them as well. He told me they work well in this area, are a little thicker and last longer than others.

So, I guess I will go with those, get the moisture barrier put everywhere and add ridge vents. Roof should be good for years.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2

I am a bit confused. You say the roof is old and worn out, and has a history of leaks you repaired. Then you mention that you are filing a claim for hail damage. Did the hail damage have something to do with the leaks?
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
12penny (03-15-2012)
Old 03-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #8

When putting a replacement roof back on and you're told you need more knee bracing and collar ties what are they talking about?
nbeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
I am a bit confused. You say the roof is old and worn out, and has a history of leaks you repaired. Then you mention that you are filing a claim for hail damage. Did the hail damage have something to do with the leaks?
Yes. I repaired two sections where water had made it through. They were where the builder didn't extend the extension all the way to the adjoining roof and left a 3" gap. The shingles sagged in those spots and water collected, leaked through. I also had some nail pops that leaked. But, after that storm, the grit began to run off and fill my gutters, plus I had tabs over that were sheared off during the storm. Leaks appeared in the garage, laundry, front foyer. That's why I called a contractor, I thought it was wear and tear. He showed me the damage, why it was leaking and both the insurance inspector and adjuster agreed. The first comment from the insurance inspector as he was getting up on the roof was "I see a ton of wind damage."
Old 03-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #10
RFN-4A-LVN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty1Mc View Post
The first comment from the insurance inspector as he was getting up on the roof was "I see a ton of wind damage."
Now that is an exciting statement to read over,and over,over,over,over,over,over,over,over and over again.,

I have read that 10 times and will have a happy face as I close my laptop down.When I hear those words or anything remotley like those words I know it is going to be an EXCELLENT adjusters meeting.

Real quick.,.,say it again. :-)))))))))))))))).,.,Just being silly but I really love to see a customer have those words echo in their minds.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roofmaster417 For This Useful Post:
Marty1Mc (03-15-2012)
Old 03-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 4

Had an adjuster look at my roof after several homes in the neighborhood had roofs replaced for virtually nothing after a hail storm.........insurance paid for it all. He said, "Your roof damage is from simple neglect, but, because I like you, I'll give you enough to do the worst side." Wow, thanks for nothing. Got a check for $1700 which didn't even pay for the materials. Ugh.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #12
Stroudsburg Roofer

Marty

Good call going with a certified installer. In this case GAF offers a systems plus warranty for roofs that are installed by a certified installer. You should ask your contractor if he will register your roof with GAF. As long as you include 3 GAF products along with your GAF shingles you will qualify for a 50 non prorated warranty on any shingle defects.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 08-13-2013 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Removed Link
PAHome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PAHome For This Useful Post:
Marty1Mc (03-19-2012)
Old 03-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #13

[quote=PAHome;880904]Marty

Good call going with a certified installer. In this case GAF offers a systems plus warranty for roofs that are installed by a certified installer. You should ask your contractor if he will register your roof with GAF. As long as you include 3 GAF products along with your GAF shingles you will qualify for a 50 non prorated warranty on any shingle defects.

Thanks for the reply. I have a question about the warranty though.
Does that include cracking? And if so, is there a requirement that damage has occurred as a result? I had heard of one person that had cracking, but the roof wasn't included in their recall because there was no damage other than the shingles cracking.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 08-13-2013 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Removed Link in quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #14
Stroudsburg Roofer

The System Plus Warranty by GAF will cover any shingles defect as long as it is installed by a GAF Certified contractor, you use 3 GAF products and their shingle and have the contractor register the warranty. After the roof is completed and the warranty is registered you will be getting a warranty certificate directly from GAF. It usually take about 2 weeks.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 08-13-2013 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Removed Link
PAHome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PAHome For This Useful Post:
Marty1Mc (03-20-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #15

Update: I have the insurance finalized and met with the contractor. They say the estimate needs some work (re-flashing the sheds was not included) and a couple of other things, so they are going back to get all of that corrected. However, they say the estimate is sufficient and they can replace the roof.

I am also going for the upgrades needed to warranty the roof from GAF.

Here is the totals:

Total Roof = 41 sq.
Total Cost = $10,863

Additional items (out of pocket):

WeatherGaurd = $786 (524 ln ft @ $1.5/ft)
Ridge Vent = $416 (119 ln ft @ $3.5/ft)
Deductable = $1000
Timberline 30 yr = $1410 (Natural Shadow 47sq @ $30/Sq)
Total = $3612

I am sure there will be additional items. I didn't see the third GAF product listed on the estimate, so I need to go back on that. I am assuming they will use 15# Shingle Mate, but I need to make sure. I also don't know how much additional I should expect to pay if it is an upgrade to standard #15lb felt.

I also know I have some decking that needs replaced. I think it's 5/8" plywood and I don't want to use OSB, so that will be extra. I expect 5 to 10 sheets at most, 2-4 at a minimum.

So, if I could ask a couple of additional questions:

1). Should I have additional ice shield added for the hip roof areas (22 sq ft)?
2). Should I use some other decking than the 15# GAF Shingle-Mate?
If so, which product and how much per sq/ft should I expect to pay?
3). Is the Natural Shadow the product you would recommend? They told me they would install whatever I wanted, but the 40 yr is another $10/sq ft. ($500 isn't a big deal)

4). Are there any pipe vent caps that are made from silicone and not rubber? It seems kinda dumb to put on a roof for 50 yrs and the vent caps only last 20.

5). Anything else you would suggest?

I really appreciate all of the feedback I have gotten, it has made this process much more understandable.

Marty