Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-05-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
Renovating My Land Yacht

Share |

Have a leak but not sure where

Dealing with a roof leak in our other house.

Pic 1 shows the house where there is a smaller hipped area that joins to a wall.

Pic 2 shows this area close up from the outside

Pic 3 shows the hole in the first floor. There was a water mark and based on the line on the sheet rock the water is coming in down the wall where the smaller hipped area meets the higher wall (if that makes sense). The water seems to be coming in between the 3 joists in the picture. The roof area under the smaller roofed area shows no sign of any water even on the offending wall. It almost looks like it is coming down the inside of that area.

I checked the pipes in the pics and no leaks and the sheet rock was dry with no water marks in this area.

I went outside and the flashing looks good. The only think that I can see that remotely might be an issue is a missing shingle near a ridge vent ( see pic 2) but the ridge vent is a good 2 feet from where the roofline and the wall meets but again from the underside I see no water.

What would I be looking for here? For the life of me I cannot figure this out as I see no water damage from the inside above the sheetrock but its obviously getting in somewhere.

Robyn
Attached Thumbnails
Have a leak but not sure where-roof-leak-3.jpg   Have a leak but not sure where-inside-roof-leak.jpg  
Attached Images

forcedreno2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
Lord of Slums

I will tell you what is typical, on the left, improper flashing detail, on the right side, no vapor barrier under siding, or improper flashing detail.

mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mj12 For This Useful Post:
forcedreno2012 (06-06-2013)
Old 06-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
Exterior Construction

Leaks on intersecting wall areas are pretty common.

Did you have a heavy and wind driven rain lately?

Tough to tell from the pictures but it is pretty standard fare to have the siding cut too tight to the roof deck, poor step flashing, and poor roof to wall flashing details.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
forcedreno2012 (06-08-2013)
Old 06-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
Renovating My Land Yacht

Had a roofer out yesterday and today. Turns out this was all caused by the goobers using the wrong nails on the flashing. Siding and flashing is tight and he said that based on the location and the fact it has only happened 2 times in the last 10 years he is pretty sure it was caused by the rusted out nails in two spots. It looks like the rain had to be coming from a particular direction for it to happen.

I was up there with him hanging out the window and the 2 nails match the location of the water damage so he redid all of them and caulked and hopefully its done. He was an awesome guy, I am trying to get back down to MS and he was kind enough to come out on a Saturday morning to take care of it for me.

Very happy camper. Now I just has to patch that big ole hole in the house
The Following User Says Thank You to forcedreno2012 For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (06-08-2013)
Old 06-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
Roofmaster

We are glad for you, but "Wrong nails on the flashing?????" Sounds a little vague to me. If you mean "The base flashing was nailed in the wrong place" I would get it. Maybe that's what he said?

Well good luck anyway, and I would have him check all the flashing. Where "Goober" strikes once, he will strike again, and again, and again............................................. ............

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
forcedreno2012 (06-08-2013)
Old 06-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #6
Renovating My Land Yacht

It may very well have been done incorrectly as opposed to the wrong type. Chicken little wasn't getting up on a 3 story roof :P.

The roofer did go over all of the flashing and he caulked them all whether they needed it or not so hopefully we should be good there.

Robyn
Old 06-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #7
Roofmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedreno2012 View Post
It may very well have been done incorrectly as opposed to the wrong type. Chicken little wasn't getting up on a 3 story roof :P.

The roofer did go over all of the flashing and he caulked them all whether they needed it or not so hopefully we should be good there.

Robyn
He Caulked them??????? Not supposed to need caulk if done correctly.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedreno2012 View Post
Now I just has to patch that big ole hole in the house
You cant be for sure this was the cause. Leave the drywall off until another heavy rainstorm and see if the leak appears. Or go up on roof with a hose and saturate the area.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hammerlane For This Useful Post:
jagans (06-09-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #9
KemoSabe

The sidewall is more likely the culprit in that situation. If your repairman didn't remove siding and used caulk as a solution, my guess is, you still have an issue. Here's the last one I opened up when the homeowner called me about his "roof" leaking.....I was the 4th guy to "fix" it. Also the last one....
Attached Thumbnails
Have a leak but not sure where-161.jpg   Have a leak but not sure where-162.jpg   Have a leak but not sure where-160.jpg   Have a leak but not sure where-166.jpg   Have a leak but not sure where-155.jpg  

hammerlane (06-09-2013), oh'mike (06-09-2013), Windows on Wash (06-09-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #10
Renovating My Land Yacht

The roofer did pull up the side wall and checked and no water intrusion there. He pulled the nails from the flashing and re-installed it correctly and then he used roofers caulk (I think its the black tar roofing cement to patch the holes and cover the nails)