DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Have Gable/Soffit Vents Contractor Suggest Ridge Vents

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  sallygump50 
#1 ·
Need new roof due to tornado/hail damage. Currently have gable vents/ 3 mushroom vents plus I think you call them soffit vents. Pitch is 7/12 to 9/12. I am afraid of ridge vents..had trouble with a garage apartment and had to remove...but the roof line was a little strange and it had a cathedral ceiling in one room...perhaps that was the problem. We live on TN River facing west - which receives HIGH WINDS. Will be using Corning Oakridge due to good wind rating vs cost. Appreciate any thoughts on RIDGE VENTS vs NO RIDGE VENT when you have GABLE VENTS. We would not replace the mushroom vents if we went to ridge vents. THANKS!

#2 ·
Generally, if you have soffit vents, you should have EITHER gables or a ridge. My (albeit limited) understanding is that if you have gables and a ridge vent, you 'short circuit" the venting (air pulls in from gables and goes out the soffit, leaving the attic improperly vented). i am sure someone more of an expert will weigh in.

#3 ·
Doug is correct.
The whole reason for the ridge vents is so outside air will be drawn in from the soffits, hot moist air gets drawn up and out the ridge vents cooling and dry the whole underside of the sheathing.
If it's sucking air in through the gable vents all the moisture and hot air stays in the attic.

#4 ·
Great - that was my understanding from a few previous post.....thanks again Joe and Doug! Now I have to figure out the insurance thing! Insurance
company put everything together in one estimate . Inside work and roofing plus gutters. I failed to ask the contractor - but I will ask when I go over everything. Do not know if they do gutter work or do I use someone else? Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.