Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #1

Share |

Hatch to attic is wet

Hi,

Today for the first time I accessed the attic from the walk in closet hatch because I wanted to check if any leaks in the roof.

Much to my surprise, the hatch itself is black and soaked with water, however, at a first glance, there is no sign of leaking from the roof.

I just want your opinion and posted some pictures here.

http://www.divshare.com/gallery/1126355-0ab

Thank you!
Alex
Metallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #2

Hatch to attic is wet

Could the attic not be properly venting, creating moisture / condensation around the entry opening?
r0ckstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #3

Hatch to attic is wet

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckstarr View Post
Could the attic not be properly venting, creating moisture / condensation around the entry opening?
Actually, there are two vents on both sides, I don't know what more you may have, if I touch the wood of the hatch it is really wet, your get your finger wet with water, could moisture be so much?

I am going upstairs and try to move the insulation to see if I can spot any water at the base.

Thanks
Alex
Old 04-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
Roofmaster

Hatch to attic is wet

From what you are showing us, it appears that your hatch is not sealing properly and warm air is rising up in the hatch well and hits the cold surface of the plywood baffles you have there to hold back your blown in insulation. Insulate the back of your hatch with 2 inch isocyanurate, and install weatherstripping around the hatch. This might arrest it.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #5

Hatch to attic is wet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
From what you are showing us, it appears that your hatch is not sealing properly and warm air is rising up in the hatch well and hits the cold surface of the plywood baffles you have there to hold back your blown in insulation. Insulate the back of your hatch with 2 inch isocyanurate, and install weatherstripping around the hatch. This might arrest it.
Hi,

I think you are right, I went in the attic, removed some insulation around and everything is dry.
I took some pictures which gives a more precise idea of how the 'cap' of the hatch is done, it is basically a box halfway full with blown insulation.

http://www.divshare.com/gallery/1126355-0ab

Some questions:

1) In which format do I find the isocyanurate on the market?
2) Weatherstripping around the hatch: it was tough to move up the hatch because there was friction between the 'box' and the sides, if I add stripping won't be worst? Where exactly should I put the stripping?

3) If you look at the IMG_3549, you will see a vent which is coming from the WC. In that area, I am planning to add an exhaust fan, obviously I need to be able to crawl overthere and work.
Now, in my garage it was simple as I have insulation batts so I could easily put wooden tables across the studs and crawl where needed.

How would you suggest to do in this case?
I want to be able to crawl around from time to time to inspect the roof and see if any leaks.

Thank you!
Alex
Old 04-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #6

Hatch to attic is wet

Actually, I measured the hatch which is: W20" x D17" x H20"

As you can see from the pictures the part which is wet is the one on top, propaby the top half 10".

In your opinion, is there a reason why they made the hatch that high?
As I said, it is lke a container half full with insulation, so if I cut the top part, which is the one having the moisture problem, wouldn't that eliminate the issue?
In addition, it would be lighter to lift up from the bottom.

Thanks
Alex

Last edited by Metallo; 04-14-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #7

Hatch to attic is wet

I tryed three times to get that second picture to come up and no luck.
Is there any soffit vents?
Foam or plastic baffles and the insulation raked back so the vents are not covered?

Any lumber yard will stock the foam you need.
You can attach it with constrution adhesive. Look for the one that says it's for foam right on the tube.

Is there a lip that the panel for access to the attic sits on top of?
Is so then you can just use 1/2 wide foam that has a selfsticking backing as a gasket.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #8

Hatch to attic is wet

Hi,

Strange, I can open the photos without any problem there are 21 pictures and the last 3 ones are the hatch panel from the bottom.
The hatch panel is a heavy cubic container half full with insulation and it doesn't have any insulating adhesive stripes on which it sits.

Yes, there are 2 vents and they are clean.

If you manage to open the pictures, only on the width side they put the laths to sustain the panel (cubic container), there are no laths on the other two sides therefore the warmth goes up from there.

Please, read my previous post as I have more questions in there too.

Thank you!
Alex
Old 04-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #9

Hatch to attic is wet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Pay attention to this reply and solve your problem. Seal the leaks and prevent warm air from entering the attic space.

This all has to do with dew point temperature and very little to do with attic venting. For instance, if the living area DP is 50F and the attic temperature is 45 any air that is migrating from the living area to the attic space will become liquid. Example: the tea glass, in fact you can check DP temperature with a glass, water , ice cubes and a thermometer. At lower attic temperatures the condensation conditions will worsen at that same room temperature.
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #10

Hatch to attic is wet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview View Post
Pay attention to this reply and solve your problem. Seal the leaks and prevent warm air from entering the attic space.

This all has to do with dew point temperature and very little to do with attic venting. For instance, if the living area DP is 50F and the attic temperature is 45 any air that is migrating from the living area to the attic space will become liquid. Example: the tea glass, in fact you can check DP temperature with a glass, water , ice cubes and a thermometer. At lower attic temperatures the condensation conditions will worsen at that same room temperature.
I'm totally with you and will seal so that no warm air will go up in the attic.

However, I'd like to have an opinion of the question I asked above:

The hatch panel is a cubic container which measures: W20" x D17" x H20"
Is there a reason why they made the hatch panel that high?
The container is half full with insulation, so if I cut the top part, which is the one having the moisture problem, would that have any negative impact?
I cannot understand why they made it that high.

Of course, I will seal according to what discussed, but the hatch panel is very heavy and I'd like to make it lighter.

Thanks
Alex
Old 04-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #11

Hatch to attic is wet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallo View Post
I'm totally with you and will seal so that no warm air will go up in the attic.

However, I'd like to have an opinion of the question I asked above:

The hatch panel is a cubic container which measures: W20" x D17" x H20"
Is there a reason why they made the hatch panel that high?
The container is half full with insulation, so if I cut the top part, which is the one having the moisture problem, would that have any negative impact?
I cannot understand why they made it that high.

Of course, I will seal according to what discussed, but the hatch panel is very heavy and I'd like to make it lighter.

Thanks
Alex
I'm not getting a hatch pic. Consider using the forum picture uploading system for this thread.

I have no idea why a hatch would be those dimensions until maybe we can see a picture. But being the QUOTE: " top part, which is the one having the moisture problem " seems like cutting it off would solve the problem, but that part is colder than the lower portion hence the condensation more problematic there. The lower portion is getting more conductive and radiant heat from the frame work and the air leaks therefore staying more near a temperature above dew point temperature.

Sealing the leaks will stop the moisture problem but cutting the hatch height is a construction question I can't answer at this time.

Last edited by Fairview; 04-14-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #12

Hatch to attic is wet

Don't understand why some user can see the pictures and some other not, let's try this:

Something went wrong, trying again below

Alex

Last edited by Metallo; 04-14-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #13

Hatch to attic is wet

Don't know why I have problems to upload the thumbnails, I always do it without issues...

Last edited by Metallo; 04-14-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #14

Hatch to attic is wet

OK guys, here they are, sorry for the problem, I hope it makes it simpler now to understand what I meant

Old 04-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #15

Hatch to attic is wet

To all that cannot see the pictures in the original link posted:
http://www.divshare.com/slideshow/23989594-fdc

If you click on the first picture, it will advance to the next picture and some left and right arrows will show up letting you go forwards and backwards. I've tried it on 2 computers, with 3 browsers total, and it worked.
r0ckstarr is offline   Reply With Quote