Has Anyone Used Xtreme Trim Snapvent In Their Soffits? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2015, 09:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Has anyone used Xtreme trim snapvent in their soffits?

Anyone used these before?

http://www.xtremetrim.com/products-ventilation.php?i=5

Price is comparable to what I can get at home improvement stores.

We're replacing our soffits and I'd like to do a nice looking continuous soffit vent. Existing soffit material is plywood and we're going to be replacing it all.

Thanks!

Advertisement

kap543 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:28 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,246

Are you going to remove all the plywood and go with all vinyl and wrap the fashia with coil stock so there's no more painting?
If so that the wrong vent for doing that.
http://www.certainteed.com/products/vinyl-siding/soffit

Advertisement

Old 04-30-2015, 11:50 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

No, we are just going to be replacing the old plywood with new plywood. We would have to replace the wood anyway to install vinyl over it. I don't think that vinyl would look good with our type of house. There is also a rock wall facade that the soffit has to fit snugly with so whatever we use can't have ridges.
kap543 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:55 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 5,602

There are nicer vinyl soffits out there.

Don't look at the cheap stuff at the big box stores and think that is the standard.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:13 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,100

In their brochure, the soffit vent should be installed nearest the fascia for optimum airflow. Farther away from the house keeps rain/snow out better. Also limits sun warmed siding heat flux from wind flowing up the wall to further warm your attic in the summer. The circular holes tend to clog with moisture/dirt faster than the strip vents which are long slots, not holes. Any circular hole will clog, eventually. Use a double-louvered one, it will catch optimum winds.

Be sure to use a ridge vent with baffles to reduce snow in the attic, if location warrants it. The baffle also helps exhaust the attic with wind blowing over it. (Venturi action "sucks" air out).

Gary