Has Anyone Done This Homemade Trusses - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2010, 04:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

has anyone done this homemade trusses

I want to duplicate a truss, the truss was made from a truss factory and stamped with approval.......I wanna use the truss in the same manner it was built for except instead of plywood and shingles I am going to use metal roofing .....it should be ok since the metal roof is lighter than shingles.......now I am going to use plywood for gussets and glue and have a good nailing patteren....I made trusses in school but never 28' long and its for my garage has anyone done this......this way duplicating anouther truss

Advertisement

Chriscr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

My neighbor put up a shed... he put down the concrete floor first, then used that nice, flat surface to make his own trusses. But I'd recommend using steel gusset plates to connect them as they are done at the 'truss factory'.

DM

Advertisement

Old 08-11-2010, 05:32 PM   #3
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
But I'd recommend using steel gusset plates to connect them as they are done at the 'truss factory'.
Is that because they are truly superior? Or just because they are cheaper and easier to install?
Old 08-11-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
the Musigician

I would think plywood glue will age and get brittle in high heat like they will be exposed to, and nails can allow sagging.
I'd stick with what works, and yeah, they ARE easier!
I've done smaller things with them, and they go in quick and easy.
Of course, if it ever collapses, don't expect insurance to cover the trusses that YOU made, no matter how well done.

DM
Old 08-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #5

I am not going to use the metal ones, I have seen them fail alot of times. I do not think they are better than wood gussets if done right but they are quicker for a factory to make and I dont have a 30ton press to put them in with.....I think that is the right pressure they use to mount them, so hiting them in with a hammer is not a good idea.....
Old 08-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,196

You can copy the pattern of the truss, but you will be unable to duplicate the truss unless you have a special machine to install the truss plates. Hammering the truss plate into the wooden truss elements does not result in the same strength as an air activated, factory calibrated device.

I assume you are not planning on pulling a permit, as it is unlikely that a building inspector would issue a permit for a home made truss roof support system. Perhaps no permit is required.

I am not aware of any provisions in the code that cover home made trusses, generally the code allows trusses when they are factory designed and built. Possibly your local code has a section on design, construction and approval of home made trusses.

All that said, you are probably operating outside code, which is your privilege, just be sure you understand the implications of doing so.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:00 PM   #7
the Musigician

Both the 'hammered' jobs I refer to are holding up just fine, but are both sheds.
No permit needed and homemade trusses are fine.

Po)

DM
Old 08-11-2010, 06:01 PM   #8

I do not need a building permit and I do not need to have this inspected, Thats why I was thinking of building them my self....I do understand that I cannot use the metal plates and I do not want to use them. I was wondering if I duplicated the design of the truss the angles and the pitch and used big wooden gussets and glue...and I can get my hands on some very good glue I'm not sure what its called but they use it on venear it is super strong and stands up to heat......
Old 08-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #9
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,836

A few years back during another recession my work got slow and I worked in a truss factory. After seeing the metal gussets I never did like them, I know they do hold up but they just don't look like they would. I have built a few buildings with a good span, building my own trusses and they are still standing today. One garage I helped my dad build is still standing after 40 some odd years and we built the trusses with 1/2 plywood gussets.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 150

every metal gussets i've ever seen at a lumber yard or big box store says "NOT FOR TRUSSES" is that just a way to avoid liability for them? I mean they don't really have any other use? anyway,

I used them on my 20x10 shed, just a triangle truss and it was HELL using a hammer on those suckers.

I'm sure the adhesives in modern plywood have improved enough to get you the strength and durability you need.
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:59 PM   #11
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

I can't see how building a truss would be any different then building a wall, as far as strength goes.

Though, could you not use a piece of 2x6 to put them together, instead of plywood? It seems this would be much stronger then anything.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:53 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 42

My father built trusses with the plywood like you are talking about for an outdoor toolshed roof. He followed plans to do this and it was for a shed. I think I would rather buy prebuilt trusses if it were for my house roof. Sure, they will cost you more but it would be worth it for piece of mind IMO. If you are going to do it I think the plywood would be the better way to go in light of what Dan posted above.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:54 PM   #13

Hey thanks for all the replies guys..JiJu1943 do you remember how you nailed them......when I built them in school we nailed every sq. inch meaning we drew a grid with lines and it was nailed half on one side and the otherside got the other half so the nails didnt drive into each other we used 1/2" plywood with 2" nails just wondering what way you built them years ago?
Old 08-12-2010, 12:05 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,064

I think you are building "an accident waiting to happen". 1/2" ply- no try 3/4" and spiral hard nails: http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...6fTirapfPwoKzA

You really should give up or a lot more research and contact a Structural Engineer for advice......

Be safe, Gary
Old 08-12-2010, 12:30 AM   #15
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,836

Chriscr, it has been so long I really don't remember but I do know the nails were coated, not commons. (hand nails not gun nails) With 1/2 inch plywood on each side there would potentially be enough wood for 2 1/2 inch nails. You can get nail gun nails from 2 inch through 3 1/2 inch. If I were to use a framing gun I would go with a 8d ring shank nail. The ring shank will hold better than most any other nail out there.

In west Tennessee I could get a construction glue that was stronger than the Liquid Nails and is called F26. If you can find that glue it is by far the best out there IMHO. F26 comes in caulk tubes and is made by Leech here is a link to the product http://www.leechadhesives.com/F26products.htm

I hope I am not breaking rules posting the link, I am not connected in any way with them folks.

Be aware that the F26 is flammable until it dries so be aware of that if you use it.

Advertisement

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote