Hardiepanel-HZ10 4X8' - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

hardiepanel-HZ10 4X8'

I am replacing a couple of windows with patio doors in my Florida room. I have to redo the openings and redo some of my hardiepanel-HZ10 siding. I will have the door company install the doors to retain the warranty. I plan to get a homeowners permit for the work, and when I spoke to the buildings department, they said that they would be looking for the siding installation to be done according to the manufacturer's guidelines. I have a couple of questions on this, and on their on-line guidelines.
1. They show a minimum of 6" between the bottom of the siding panel sitting on the slab and the ground. My problem is that since the original installation, a brick patio was installed leaving only about 4" of clearance. Will I have a problem passing inspection now? If so, any suggestions?
2. The existing siding sits right on the 2X4 studs with Tyvec in between. Does this meet code, or is some kind of plywood sheathing required (per Home Depot clerk) ? (Again, not clear when I read guideline)
3. When I prep the opening for the door installation, do I put the siding in and take it to the opening? or wait until after the door is in to install the siding?

Your comments and guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

Robert711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,506

hardiepanel-HZ10 4X8'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert711 View Post
I am replacing a couple of windows with patio doors in my Florida room. I have to redo the openings and redo some of my hardiepanel-HZ10 siding. I will have the door company install the doors to retain the warranty. I plan to get a homeowners permit for the work, and when I spoke to the buildings department, they said that they would be looking for the siding installation to be done according to the manufacturer's guidelines. I have a couple of questions on this, and on their on-line guidelines.
1. They show a minimum of 6" between the bottom of the siding panel sitting on the slab and the ground. My problem is that since the original installation, a brick patio was installed leaving only about 4" of clearance. Will I have a problem passing inspection now? If so, any suggestions?
2. The existing siding sits right on the 2X4 studs with Tyvec in between. Does this meet code, or is some kind of plywood sheathing required (per Home Depot clerk) ? (Again, not clear when I read guideline)
3. When I prep the opening for the door installation, do I put the siding in and take it to the opening? or wait until after the door is in to install the siding?

Your comments and guidance will be greatly appreciated.
1) Look again... it also says, "Maintain a minimum 1" - 2" clearance between
James Hardie® products and paths, steps and driveways." I think that would apply to you.

2)Hardie Panel can be installed directly to the studs (according to Hardie). Check with your building department to see if it's allowed in your area.

3) That's what I'd do then flash the flanges, trim over that with a head flashing over the top piece of trim.

I'd also install a sill pan flashing before the door goes in.

Advertisement

Old 07-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #3

hardiepanel-HZ10 4X8'

Thanks kwikfishron. Can you elaborate on #3? Not clear if you would go ahead and install the siding to the opening before the door is installed.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,506

hardiepanel-HZ10 4X8'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert711 View Post
Thanks kwikfishron. Can you elaborate on #3? Not clear if you would go ahead and install the siding to the opening before the door is installed.
Personally I wouldn't install a slider directly to the studs (although I've seen it done that way) Take a look at THIS thread. It's about T-111 siding but a sheet product all the same.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,010

hardiepanel-HZ10 4X8'

LOL, I just answered that thread, follow the head flashing link given. As far as code; #5: http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...?bu2=undefined

Ah, You have your own state code based on IBC; http://www.reedconstructiondata.com/...codes/florida/

Depending on where your shear straps/panels are located, changing to a door may require adding more shear, the AHJ will tell you; #8: http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...?bu2=undefined

OR, http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...?bu2=undefined

Or, maybe nothing, let us know...

Gary
PS. Use pan flashing under the door as that other link showed.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,680

hardiepanel-HZ10 4X8'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Personally I wouldn't install a slider directly to the studs
please explain.
Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #7

hardiepanel-HZ10 4X8'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
please explain.

Yes, please.

Install door on 2X4 frame (with appropriate flashing), and then do the siding?

Advertisement