Hardboard Damage - How To Repair ? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2010, 11:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hardboard damage - How to repair ?

Hello !
I'm in the process of purchasing a 1975 tri level, and there is some damage on the hardboard siding. I was wondering what the best thing to do is : replace the damaged boards, or repair the damaged one. I'm not sure I'll be able to afford the repairs in the next months, so my priority would be to make sure the water doens't cause more damage before I can do the repairs
I have trouble finding info on the internet what filler I should use to repair the boards...
Any advice would be very appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Hardboard damage - How to repair ?-img_8262.jpg   Hardboard damage - How to repair ?-img_8276.jpg   Hardboard damage - How to repair ?-img_8281.jpg  

Advertisement

olsogafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,482

I don’t know how you would repair the siding other than replacing the damaged pieces.

Whatever you do that siding shouldn’t be sitting on the roof like that. That’s why your seeing the damage that you have.

The siding should be held up at least ” off the roof.

Advertisement

Old 09-26-2010, 02:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks ! This is what I thought : the moisture is coming from the roof and is causing the hardboard to swell.
I've noticed that other hardboard are swelling from their bottom end. Do you know if there is any caulking product I could apply to prevent the board to absorb water ?
I could replace everything, but I'm not a big fan of replacing things just because it's easier...
Thanks
olsogafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,482

Nothing in a tube will help you there.

The main thing is to get the siding off the roof so it’s not getting saturated every time it rains.

Also make sure the bottom edges of the siding are primed and well painted.

The paint protects the rest of the siding on your house, you just need to get that run of siding up and out of the creek.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 09-26-2010 at 03:43 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote