DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Hail damaged Owens Corning roof

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  BamBamm5144 
#1 ·
Hi!
I have a hail damaged Owens Corning architectural (1994) 1st roof. The roofer only wants to take off the old shingles and put new felt and flashing over the old felt and flashing. He wants to fix some rotten soffits after the new roof is on. I s that a good idea or is putting the new shingles on top of the old shingles better?

#2 ·
I am confused by your post. Apparently the roofer wants to take off the old shingles. All of the shingles, or only the damaged ones? And you say the roofer wants to put new felt and flashing over the old felt and flashing. The part about the felt makes sense, presumably the roofer would strip the old shingles, install new felt, then install new roofing. If the flashing is still good, it could presumably be left in place. Flashing over old flashing seems inconsistent with stripping old shingles.

The roof is 15 years old, so it might have some life left in it, except that the hail probably made it impossible to salvage any of the shingles. So it would seem to make sense to remove all of the old shingles, and start over. If you are asking should the roofer install new shingles over the old damaged shingles, I guess it could be done, but I can't see any advantage to doing that.

#3 ·
Hi!
The roofer wants to take off all the "old" shingles and keep the old felt and flashing. He then wants to put wider flashing over the old flashing and cover the old felt with new felt 15 and then put the new shingles over everything. He said that waterproofing is not necessary but just hype. Since I want to be able to get a warrenty from the manufacturer of the new shingles is what my roofer have planned going to be enough?
Thanks for replying!

#5 ·
Hi!
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, it is an insurance claim to which the roofer I am talking about helped me get a positive reply. He then talked about all sorts of short cuts and that most of the materials and steps were not necessary including waterproofing! He said it was all just money making hype.He also did not want to give me anything concrete on paper not to mention anything about a warrenty! So, I went to Home Depot on Sat and got a proper estimate for the entire job plus info on all warrenties that apply.
When I told my roofer that I was probably going to go with Home Depot he was angry at first but then "saw the light" and is now going to use all materials and steps needed in order to get the 10 year istallation warrenty offered by the roofing manufacturer.
So, all's well that ends well!

#6 ·
How would a contractor send a legitimate bill when they are not doing all of the steps that they are being paid for? Or was he letting you keep the money?
Remember this money is not the homeowners money. It actually belongs to your lender, and it is provided ONLY to fix according to the adjustment by the insurance company. Anything outside of that is insurance fraud (AFAIK) by all parties involved.

#8 · (Edited)
Don't get excited!

All I want is a good solid roof that will last the time warrented. I feel my roofer was trying to take short cuts and pocket what was left.

I went to Home Depot just to get something that looked like a proper estimate so that my roofer would wake up and write down how he intended to use the money alloted from the Ins. Co to give me a properly installed roof which includes all the materials that the Ins. Co. is paying for in order to get the all important warrenty.

No fraud wanted or intended - - at least not on my side! I want a roof I don't have to worry about for a good long time.

Actally, I started to worry and wonder whether this guy is a professional roofer at all when he talked about 'shortcuts'. I am afraid that he is a handy man that has decided to branch out! He has done other work on my house (painting and woodwork)and helped to have the Ins. claim approved in the first place. (Or so he says)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.