Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #1
KY1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Hail damage to vents but not roof?

We had a major hail storm a couple of months ago, lots of new roofs in the neighborhood. I picked a neighbor-recommended roofer for an estimate, he said yes on hail damage, whole new roof and vents.

Roofer #2 arrives to meet insurance adjuster. They agree there is NO hail damage to the roof, but all vents are dented form same. Adjuster pays for all new vents but says they are still totally functional. Roofer found some problems around a 15+ year-old skylight that meshed with our own experience. However, 3 weeks later, still no estimate, one more email will sound like I'm begging.

Before I hear what roofer #3 has to say, I wanted your opinions. Is it likely that hail that dents up all the vents has caused no roof damage?

UPDATE: 62 year-old-lady me climbed onto the roof--(I hate that part)--no hail damage, just dings in vents. Roofer #3 will replace the skylight and fix the leak. So....nevermind. Thanks.

Last edited by KY1; 09-27-2012 at 05:25 PM.
KY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:02 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 104

While I am not a fan of superfluous and illicit insurance claims, that seems to dominate the storm chasing market.

That being said, I can personally tell you that I have seen roofs that show no visual evidence of hail damage that look terrible a year or two later. The shingles are damaged and the granules blow off the surface in droves a year or two down the road. When was it damaged...at the original storm.

You need to really examine it and if the hail was large enough to damage the flashings and vents (depending on how much) the roof has likely been damaged.

Be sure to be critical and understand that while the insurance is there to protect you and your home, the adjuster is there to protect the insurance company.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
KY1 (09-28-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 192

If it was mine I think I would refuse to sign off on the claim for a year. And put it in writting the reason why with the insurance company.
Once you sign the claim is closed and there's no going back to the well.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:11 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 44

Insurance companies don't like to believe this but any hail, other than Graupel ( aka soft hail ) shortens the life span of asphalt granular roofs. Your neighborhood was affected and your house wasn't exempt.
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview
Insurance companies don't like to believe this but any hail, other than Graupel ( aka soft hail ) shortens the life span of asphalt granular roofs. Your neighborhood was affected and your house wasn't exempt.
+1

Well said.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
Roofing Contractor

Rewards Points: 0

If your shingles are dark in color they may have hail damage but due to the dark color of shingles it may hide the hail damage.

When new to a hail damaged area it's best to get on white 3 tab fiberglass roof to see if the area actualy got hail. Last time on one such roof told the homeowner the hail damage was very minumal to the shingles and couldn't promise an adjuster would pay for it. A week or so later found out they had an adjuster out and they paid for the whole roof! The adjuster later told me that due to the magnitude of hail damage to the soft metals (turtle vents) it would warrant a whole new roof.

dougger222 is offline   Reply With Quote