Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #1

Share |

Hail Damage Claim

I am considering buying a home and my inspector identified hail damage to the roof and gutters. How can I find out if a claim has been filed and paid?
Clark

clarktaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Hail Damage Claim

Simple. make the seller repalce the roof and gutters, period, doesn't matter where they get the money. Actualy don't do that because they will cut every corner in the book. Get 3 estimates from licensed, certified, legitimate roofing contractors whom have been in your area at least 3 years and submit those estimates with your revised offer asking for a price reduction.

sucks to be the seller if they did file a claim and pocketed the money. Well, they shoulda used the money for what it was meant for, so they made their bed and now they can sleep in it. You may have a hard time finding an insurance company to cover you if you don't replace the roof first so my suggestion, again, is to get a credit on your offered price.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy For This Useful Post:
MJW (08-14-2011)
Old 08-14-2011, 08:33 PM   #3

Hail Damage Claim

Grumpy is right .. Your biggest issue is whether you can get your home insured with the condition of the roof. Whether a claim has been made, paid or whatever is irrelevant..
Omegaroofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:35 PM   #4

Hail Damage Claim

The sellers insurance should pick it up (regardless of whether or not the policy is currently in effect) if the damage can be found to be in the time period limitations of the policy (usually within a year of the date of the identified storm). The insurance would have little foothold to argue the damage, when it is presented and documented by an inspector. This is also a way to find out if a claim was submitted, and if the money was pocketed, as the insurance will already have an open claim. (This should also tell you a bit about who you are dealing with in regards to buying this house . . .)
BCIDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #5

Hail Damage Claim

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarktaylor View Post
I am considering buying a home and my inspector identified hail damage to the roof and gutters. How can I find out if a claim has been filed and paid?
Clark
Have your own insurance agent order you a C.L.U.E. Report, (...Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange...).

It will have ALL the details about ANY claim filed on that property and also on the home owner of record, for their history of claims.

You can get that report for free by yourself too, but it takes a bit of searching to figure out how.

Here is some basic information I quickly found describing the C.L.U.E. Report.

http://oci.wi.gov/pub_list/pi-207.htm

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #6
Tileguy

Hail Damage Claim

Quote:
How can I find out if a claim has been filed and paid?
Doesn't really matter as it isn't really any of your business.

Grumpy has the best advice unless by you making the repair a contingency of the sale would cause the seller to tell you to forget it and he would continue to look for a buyer that didn't care about the roof.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:31 PM   #7
MJW

Hail Damage Claim

It does matter. The new homeowner could possibly be without insurance on the roof. The previous insurance company is responsible. If they paid previously, then the current homeowner is held responsible to pay for a new roof.

This is documented by an inspector. It is not like you are buying a house 'as is'. It is a legitimate claim as long as it's within the time period of making a claim (usually two years from the storm).

You could also just buy the house and have no insurance on your roof. Your choice.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:49 AM   #8

Hail Damage Claim

Regardless of who is responsible for the roof repair, your insurance company should be willing to work with you to remedy. When I bought my current home, the roof was in serious need of being replaced (3 layers of shingles and leaking in several places.) My insurance company gave me 60 days to get it replaced.
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:23 PM   #9
RFN-4A-LVN

Hail Damage Claim

I would use Grumpy and Ed's advice.

I have had numerous reroofs falling back on the previous owners insurer.

If the previous homeowner was in fact payed at some point for a reroof and the funds were not used as required then it is on the previous homeowner.

I would try finding out if a claim was payed.,if it was then a reduction in cost for the property should be negotiated to accomodate the cost of a roof.

IMO if the previous homeowner did not use the funds from the claim to fix the roof.,then IMO it says something about his integrity.And if he did not cover the cost out of pocket or reduction then I would walk.

If you are worried about him finding someone else to buy the home because he does not want to be fair then heck with him.

In today's economy you are able to get more home for your money.The funny thing about this home might be that there is several hundred in a 10-15 mile radius.If your credit is solid and your financial future is strong then YOU call the shots.

This is my opinion but I would definately inquire.

Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote