DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

gutters and patio covering

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Yodaman 
#1 ·
We recently bought a house with an existing metal awning over the back patio. The awning makes it about impossible to clean the gutters.

My thought is to take the old awning off, it is attached about 6 inches below the overhang into the siding. I would then pull off the existing gutter then reattach the awning where the gutter was then new gutter from the house out and around the awning. Raising the awning would also open up the view from the kitchen windows.

Before I get started does this make sense? Any other suggestions.

#3 ·
couple thoughts that may or may not be a concern,
1 - is your fascia and overhang rigid enough to support it?
2 - are snow and ice a concern? By raising the awning to the roof line snow could build up turning to ice and cause ice dams at the transition.

have you considered equally creative ways to clean the existing gutter?
Like a long stick with a hook on it, Or a hose with a gutter wand? I have seen a gutter cleaning wand attachment long enough to clean a gutter standing on the ground?

#4 ·
have you considered equally creative ways to clean the existing gutter?
Like a long stick with a hook on it, Or a hose with a gutter wand? I have seen a gutter cleaning wand attachment long enough to clean a gutter standing on the ground?
I used to clean gutters for a customer who had a green house kicking off the back and the roof above was a 12/12.
I had a 4 foot piece of termination bar I bent an "L" to fit in the gutter and taped it to a piece of wood molding. I could push and pull with the thing. Worked like a charm :yes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.