Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2009, 02:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Gutters needed?

Hello,

I have a rather large patio cover of about 12ft X 60ft. When it was constructed about 3 years ago, the contractor put on a glue down roof using tar paper and rolls of ashphalt roofing. This was all adhered to the roof with some type of roof cement that looked like tar. There is no overhang on the edge of the roof. There is only metal flashing that fits over the edge of the roof. The problem that I'm having is that my facia boards are beginning to rot. This is due to the fact that when it rains (seldom in Phoenix AZ), the water runs over the edge of the roof and just drips down the facia boards. The facia boards are painted, but they are still rotting from water absorption. The contractor recommended that I have gutters installed that would mount up under the flashing. Would this be the appropriate path to fix the problem or should I have the roof modified so that there is over hang and the water would run off without getting the facia boards wet?

Thanks.

dezzertrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:07 PM   #2

Gutters needed?

If you have enough rain to rot the fascia boards, why not slide a gutter up under the drip edge? That way, you can also determine where the water goes (where to put the downspout). This is definitely a less expensive fix than the other route.

VA metalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Gutters needed?

Get a gutter. If it is causing enough damage to rot the fascia board, a gutter will be the most effective solution. Also if only 12 feet long, it should be a rather cheap long term solution.
BamBamm5144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:09 PM   #4

Gutters needed?

Thanks for the replies!
Old 10-28-2009, 08:20 AM   #5

Gutters needed?

Why not do it the proper way and slide some aluminum fascia under your roof edge flashing then have some gutters installed. Painted Fascia will just keep rotting from water splashing into gutters.
bronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:42 PM   #6

Gutters needed?

He said there is metal flashing already installed or what I assume to be drip edge.
BamBamm5144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:19 AM   #7

Gutters needed?

That's correct. There is flashing already installed and it has a drip edge (small 45 degree bend outward along the entire edge of the flashing). So it appears I'm all set to go for installing guttering. You have all been helpful
Old 10-29-2009, 02:31 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 196

Gutters needed?

I just had seamless gutters installed today. They installed them by sliding the back side of the gutter under the metal flashing, then attached the mounting brackets. Works great. WE are already having lots of rain from an approaching front (Houston area). Just in time! :-)
Mike
MT Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:36 AM   #9
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Gutters needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzertrider View Post
That's correct. There is flashing already installed and it has a drip edge (small 45 degree bend outward along the entire edge of the flashing). So it appears I'm all set to go for installing guttering. You have all been helpful
i think someone is confused..... or i am?....
the 2" drip edge goes OVER aluminum fascia in most cases. if this is true in the OP's case, how could he see the rotting wood?
if this is the case, then bronco2 is correct, adding gutters to raw wood will keep rotting it. unless the gutters are designed to slide under the drip edge. but that still leaves yukky painted wood showing and possibly still getting wet. i'd do the 6" alum. fascia first. better safe than rotten.

DM

Last edited by DangerMouse; 11-02-2009 at 11:44 AM.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:48 AM   #10

Gutters needed?

Thanx DangerMouse.
bronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #11
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Gutters needed?

np, when yer right, yer right.....

DM