Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2010, 08:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Gutters leaking with drip edge. Help!

I bought my first home last year and noticed that during rain (especially heavy rain), a lot of water gets behind my gutters. It would appear like the water flows to the edge of the shingles, rolls up underneath and flows down the drip edge which is flush with the fascia, going behind the gutters. Obviously, the fascia is not in the best shape and I plan on getting the roof done within the next year or two. If anyone has any information on what I can do to prevent further leaking of the gutters, I would extremely appreciate it. The current drip edge is nailed in under the starter row of shingles and I cannot pull it up.

Here are a couple pictures, they suck but its the best I could. (I know I need to clean them!)

Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Gutters leaking with drip edge. Help!-img_2335.jpg   Gutters leaking with drip edge. Help!-img_2336.jpg  

hansmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
Knows everything but that

Rewards Points: 150

Im not a genius but Id start with cleaning those things out.

JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:37 AM   #3

Pretend they're clean and flow properly like they normally do. Its not a problem with overflowing - Verified during last HEAVY rain.
hansmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
Shut in w/o Home

Rewards Points: 500

during rain (especially heavy rain), a lot of water gets behind my gutters. It would appear like the water flows to the edge of the shingles, rolls up underneath and flows down the drip edge which is flush with the fascia, going behind the gutters.

It looks to me like the gutters are standing proud of the fascia. I'm not familiar with the hangers used here.

The solution I see (I often have to do this with half round gutters) is to get a "Z" channel fabricated that will slip behind the drip edge flange, extend almost horizontally far enough to clear the back of the gutter, and then down into the gutter.

If I were re-roofing and saw this, I'd extend the shingles a little further past the drip edge.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,026

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyou View Post
... were re-roofing and saw this, I'd extend the shingles a little further past the drip edge.
Could you install a strip of new shingle along the entire edge, under the last existing shingle and overhanging the gutter more?

Adding perhaps just one inch to the overhang. Enough to clear the existing roof edge so it acts as the new primary drip edge.

Glued its entire length instead of in spots, to minimize water roll up between it and the last existing shingle.

Last edited by AllanJ; 05-19-2010 at 11:48 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllanJ For This Useful Post:
MARY YNIRIO (05-30-2010)
Old 10-09-2010, 10:37 PM   #6

Amazing pics! Looks just like our house. (1944) same issues, same hangers.
Thanks for posting this.
Reasoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:02 AM   #7
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

Drip edge extender:

http://www.egutter.com/s.nl/it.A/id....&category=-110

is a stock item a most roofing supply houses.

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote