Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2008, 09:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Gutters

I need some gutters for my home. I have about 5000 sq feet draining off the back of my home. The pitch of the roof is 1/2" per 10 feet. I have seven scuppers and I need about 70 foot of gutters for these scuppers. We get some pretty bad storms, like 3" per hour on occasion. I need to figure out how big my gutters and the downspout need to be. There will only be one downspout. anyone know how to calculate this or know a source for gutters that are not outragiously priced?

booboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:30 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,092

Gutters

You are dreaming if you think you can use just one downspout unless it rediculously large and ugly.

Depending on your downspout capacity, you can then begin to think about sizing the gutters for a 3"/hour rain since you will be collecting water from a 70 x 70 roof area.

Maybe you should be willing to accept a little overflow when you get a "gully washer" rain.

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Gutters

Check out this link and download the pdf file regarding gutter sizing based on square footage of roof surface amounts would be.

The book I used to own was stolen from me, otherwise I could figure it out for you myself.

Also, it would be helpful to know what region you are from, due to different annual rainfall intnsities.

http://www.gutterguards.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.2092/.f

As a side note, typically you need one downspout for every distance of 40 feet or less. The downspout size will be as important if not more than the gutter trough sizing. Also, a proper pitch to allow the rain water to flow properly.

Additionally, if you typed in your comments correctly, you stated 7 scuppers? You more realistically should have a conductor head and its own seperate downspout, aka leader pipe, for each one of the individual scupper locations.

Ed

Last edited by Ed the Roofer; 02-09-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:44 PM   #4

Gutters

Quote:
Maybe you should be willing to accept a little overflow when you get a "gully washer" rain.
I would be willing to have a little overflow in the worst storms. I am going to install grass this year and right now the rain comes out of the scuppers so hard it diggs big holes in the ground. You would not believe the water that shoots out of some of these scuppers.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:00 PM   #5

Gutters

OK, here is a picture of the back of the house. No comments on the clutter as we just moved in.

I would like the downspout(s) to be between the two windows by the #6. We are planning on adding a underground tank to catch the water in to water the landsacpe. 8 acres in Arizona so water is important. We get aprox 15-20" of rain a year, most of it comes in the monsoon July-August. I have leader heads for all the scuppers. I just need the gutters now. I will see if I can get anything out of the sizing PDF you just posted.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:05 PM   #6

Gutters

Is that a dryvit or stucco exterior finish system on the home?

I would consider an ornamental style of guttering system, mounted and possibly requiring wood blocking to push it away from the wood structures under the dryvit facade. For that to work, the scuppers and conductor heads will need to have a short downspout coming down and then have the gutter at the top portion of the wood under the dryvit.

You should attempt to have more than one and probably as many as 3 or 4 downspout leader pipes expelling the rain water from the newly installed gutter trough, with the 2 main ones being at both far ewnds of the guttering system. The other ones could run down the vertical wood posts.

There is a significant amount od water that will be cascading downward from the upper roof onto the lower front roof section. This adds to the extreme amount of water needing to be expelled. It also can harm whatever type of roofing system you have on the flat roof surface area from an erosion like affect.

Ed
Old 02-11-2008, 08:31 PM   #7

Gutters

I have header boxes for the seven scuppers on the lower level. The each have 3x4 downspouts that will go into the gutters.

I plan to mount the gutters to the stucco (not dryvit), thanks to the drop in OSB prices I did a full shear on this house so I can easily attach to it anywhere.

I plan to have two 3x4 or 4x5 downspouts between the windows to the left of #6. I think that 6" K-style gutters will be big enough, even with a 90' span. The worst is it will overflow a little in heavy storms.

I plan to paint everything the same color as the house. That should be a nice look and pretty inexpensive. I could go hog wild spending money on this but I don't think it would be much better looking. I don't like the look of copper, thank god!
Old 02-11-2008, 08:39 PM   #8
PRO Siding Windows Roofs

Rewards Points: 75

Gutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by booboo View Post
I plan to paint everything the same color as the house. That should be a nice look and pretty inexpensive.
PLEASE do yourself a huge favor and DO NOT paint the gutters. If you plan to install yourself, have a gutter contractor roll out the gutters for you in coil that is the same color as the house.
PKHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:00 PM   #9

Gutters

Do you think that gutter contactor will have "Behr - Almond Toast" in there color selections? If the gutter contractor tells me that the gutters are paintable, should I not believe him?
Old 02-11-2008, 09:00 PM   #10

Gutters

I would also pitch the entire guttering system equally in both directions, so that you not only drain on the far left side, but also on the far right side where you do not have any numbers marked, but it would be number Zero, following your method of lacation.

This way, you split up the entire total quantity of rain water heading in one direction, which should minimize the amount of over flowing from the gitter trough.

Definitely get a color of gutter pumped out with the closest color you feel either matches or contrasts nicely, the existing stucco color.

If there is potential for the gutters still overflowing, I would remain concerned about the amount of water that could continually saturate the stucco exterior surface. It is not as water proof as it seems, from many article and web sites I have reviewed. At least you have no windo details to deal with where the gutter trough will be running parallel to.

Ed
Old 02-11-2008, 09:19 PM   #11

Gutters

I plan to run the water into a underground tank to water the landscape so I having it run off both end of the house is not an option. I know it would work much better but I intend to compensate with a biger gutter.

I plan to get the gutter as close to the color as the stucco for sure, then paint them. I have paint sprayers so routine painting is not a problem. I am not lazy so maintenance is not a problem. Just look at the work in keeping the exterior wood in shape or coating this large roof every few years. I am not afraid.

My thought is if it is raining the stucco is going to get wet. I really don't care if my gutters leak a little as I do not expect my gutters to keep the stucco dry. I don't understand that concept.

The answer I am really looking for now is will the 6" gutters draining into two downspouts behind the windows at location #6 be enough to keep damage off my grass. The plus is the roof is only 1/2" per 10' pitch, the negative is there is 5000 sq foot of it. The majority of the runnof is out of the two scuppers between location #2 and #3.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:20 PM   #12
PRO Siding Windows Roofs

Gutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by booboo View Post
Do you think that gutter contactor will have "Behr - Almond Toast" in there color selections? If the gutter contractor tells me that the gutters are paintable, should I not believe him?
I could match that color very closely with our gutters. Just because something is paintable doesn't mean its going to look good, or last. Is behr going to guarantee that paint finish for 20 years?
Old 02-11-2008, 09:27 PM   #13

Gutters

Quote:
I could match that color very closely with our gutters. Just because something is paintable doesn't mean its going to look good, or last. Is behr going to guarantee that paint finish for 20 years?
Do you ship gutters? If you can get the color close and ship I am looking for a supplyer. The local stores only have 5" gutters.

Honestly I really don't care how long the finish lasts. I can tell you we will repaint the home several times in 20 years. Even if the paint lasted that long we would probably change colors in a few years anyways. Also the longest I have lived in a home was 7 years.

What do you think of the design? Do you think it will work relitivly well knowing the requirements?

Last edited by booboo; 02-11-2008 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:35 PM   #14
PRO Siding Windows Roofs

Gutters

http://www.senox.com/colors/index.html

Alcoa has a lot of colors also