Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2007, 03:45 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 197
Share |
Default

Gutters


I was thinking about adding some gutters to my newly completed roof. I really want seamless gutters which I can not do myself. I guess I'm looking for a ballpark figure. How do they price gutters (by the foot, number of joints, etc)? What do they typically charge?

Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 07:26 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Default

Gutters


Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
I was thinking about adding some gutters to my newly completed roof. I really want seamless gutters which I can not do myself. I guess I'm looking for a ballpark figure. How do they price gutters (by the foot, number of joints, etc)? What do they typically charge?
Your best bet if you are a DIYer is to contact a company that will deliver the components to a designated address or site. Basically, you contact them and give them all pertinant information regarding the gutters. Example: Color, LF, elbows, connectors, end caps, funnels, downspouts, hangers, etc, etc. They will come, form and roll out seamless gutters for you, and leave the parts needed. You install. Infact, that is how we do it.

The price for Gutters themselves is per Linear Foot. Other components are priced per each indivicual part. Downspouts are priced at 10'-0" segments. Look around in your area.
I believe "Eagle Gutters" is a franchise in areas of the US. (we use them)

Good Luck.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 07:47 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 197
Default

Gutters


Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
Your best bet if you are a DIYer is to contact a company that will deliver the components to a designated address or site. Basically, you contact them and give them all pertinant information regarding the gutters. Example: Color, LF, elbows, connectors, end caps, funnels, downspouts, hangers, etc, etc. They will come, form and roll out seamless gutters for you, and leave the parts needed. You install. Infact, that is how we do it.

The price for Gutters themselves is per Linear Foot. Other components are priced per each indivicual part. Downspouts are priced at 10'-0" segments. Look around in your area.
I believe "Eagle Gutters" is a franchise in areas of the US. (we use them)

Good Luck.
I am almost done replacing my roof by myself. I am burnt out on DIY jobs. I heard the labor to install gutters is reasonable. What is the best way to find a reputable contractor?
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:11 PM   #4
Custom Cabinet Maker
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Netcong NJ
Posts: 1,097
Default

Gutters


Atlantic: Am shocked that you even bother to touch em :} gotta be cheaper to just let em hang em. Plus the added benefit of " Hey I didnt hang em you did now get back here and do it right" Think of all the important work ( Is miller really better than Bud Light? ) comparision you could accomplished in the new found time fishin even
JackM

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 07-29-2007 at 05:35 PM.
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 06:29 AM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Default

Gutters


Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
Atlantic: Am shocked that you even bother to touch em :} gotta be cheaper to just let em hang em. Plus the added benefit of " Hey I didnt hang em you did now get back here and do it right" Think of all the important work ( Is miller really better than Bud Light? ) comparision you could accomplished in the new found time fishin even
JackM
Actually, we try to do everything when we are on a job. We want to be the "go-to" company for our clients, especially when they ask us about doing "additional" work on a project.
Generally, every gutter install we have done has been on a residential project where we are doing other work.

...Besides, I'm a work-aholic....

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 07-29-2007 at 05:36 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:31 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,384
Default

Gutters


Enure that stronger hanging brackets are used than the cheap flat style. We use Omni Brackets from Ray-tec.

Use the .032 aluminum versus the thinner and more fragile .027 or thinner guages of materials too.

Also, make sure they use either gasketed wood grip screws or spiral shank aluminum nails instead of regular nails to hang the gutter troughs.

Also, invest in additional downspout locations to alleviate the amount of flowage to one downspout and to be able to create a more significant pitch for better drainage and less leaf and twig clogging.

Finally, use the oversized drop outlets with the oversized 3" x 4" downspouts instead of the standard 2" x 3", which you will thank me for later on.

Have a contractor give you a quote including on how they will install the guttering system and how things will be secured and what sizes and guage of materials will be used, and the one that meets these qualifications is the one who should get the project. He will be the one who is saving you money in the long run.

Our rate in the Chicago area starts at about $ 6.75 per foot for materials and labor, but the price is influenced by how much or how little additional work we are doing at the same location at the same time as well.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:20 PM   #7
Member
 
the roofing god's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pomona,New York,10970
Posts: 877
Send a message via MSN to the roofing god
Default

Gutters


and miters are usually billed at about the same as 3 ft of gutter because of the extra work involved

the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
leaf free gutters icicles and ice dams bluemetro Roofing/Siding 16 02-23-2010 09:14 AM
cutting shingles to install gutters Chicago Bill General DIY Discussions 2 02-27-2009 05:42 AM
fascia? gutters? johnny331 Building & Construction 9 06-19-2007 03:13 PM
Valleys' water over-flowing gutters davco Roofing/Siding 2 06-11-2007 08:15 AM
Connecting gutters to storm drain Bullfrog Landscaping & Lawn Care 2 08-01-2006 08:54 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.