Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #1

Share |

Gutter Replacement: Am I being ripped off?

Hi,

Last week I returned home after the holidays to find the guttering on the back of my house completely fallen down. Turns out ice built up and pulled it off as it was installed with gutter spikes instead of hangers.

Anyway I am the middle unit in a town house and the section that needs replaced is 15 to 20 feet long. The quote I have been given to replace this section is $875 dollars. It is Aluminum guttering.

This seems very expensive for such a small section of guttering. Does anyone know what price I should be able to get this done for by professionals?

Thanks

ed167baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #2

Now one knows where you live because you did not add your location to your profile.
No one can seen your house, know the exact length, how high it is, what needs to be done for the down spouts.
No metinon on what size, shape, the gutters or down spouts are.
Best thing you can do is start making some calls and get some other prices, then you'll know if the price is high or not.

Around here a K style 5" gutter is only about $3.50 a foot, plus the down spouts.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
DIY staff

You need to make a few calls--roofers and gutter people are what you need===often condo associations have some wild insurance and bonding requirements for the contractor---so ask the association for the requirements----

That seems to be a stiff price---if it included replacing the facia board and wrapping with aluminum it just might not be out of line---local job--get local prices----
Old 01-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
RFN-4A-LVN

I charge around $4.15 and pay my sub $3.15 and that's for single story.

That price is pretty high IMO.

$875 for 20' is $43.75 per foot and that's nuts.Either they hold their workmanship at an unbelievable level or your having more repairs being made other than a gutter installation and possibly your not aware of it.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #5

Rm, do you have a minimum charge? A 20 foot piece for under a hundred bucks seems very reasonable to me.
paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #6

Spikes pulling out may mean damaged rafter tails and/or facia material. That proposal may include checking/repairing the damage.
I used gutter brackets with stainless screws into 2x facia framing for my house.
If not, you are being charged to maintain their business in a down turn economy.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #7
Exterior Construction

+1

Most crews have minimums and without knowing more of the scope it is tough to tell.

Seems high but if they are replacing all the fascia, downspouts, etc...it might not be so bad.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:46 AM   #8
Roofmaster

It has nothing to do with the amount of Gutter, IMHO.

To do this job you need a truck, 2 men, two ladders. Hand tools, the cost for the guy that came out to look, Materials, Insurance. (You dont say how high the gutter is, nor what the grade looks like so how can anyone judge whether the price is correct?)

The problem with very small jobs is the fact that you still have the same set-up costs regardless of size, so it looks like a lot of money on the face of it.

You have made an assumption that the cause of failure was gutter spikes, and not hangers. This could be bull. If you have a condition that produces ice buildup, significant weight, and freeze thaw at the eaves, you have a bigger problem than just a dropped gutter, and you need to address it properly. I would suggest that you have heat loss along the eaves, which is causing ice buildup above.

Simply replacing the gutter will result in doing it again as soon as the condition duplicates itself.

jagans is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
HomeSealed (01-08-2013), Windows on Wash (01-07-2013)
Old 01-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #9

Yes, that would be a rip off even if you lived in NYC.

I recently had mine replaced by a roofing / gutter co. when the roof was replaced and they take trade ins. 212 ft. of straight run AL made on site on a single story with 8 down spouts. Stupid old spike install @ 4 ft. increments was removed and replaced with a screw clip every 2 ft. on the new. Excellent workmanship. Cost $1,200.00
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
Roofmaster

What about the spike holes? did they re-clad the fascia?

Old 01-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
What about the spike holes? did they re-clad the fascia?
Not necessary. Aluminum over wood when constructed new. I filled the holes since they only charged 25 to watch and 50 to help.
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:21 PM   #12
RFN-4A-LVN

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdrying View Post
Rm, do you have a minimum charge? A 20 foot piece for under a hundred bucks seems very reasonable to me.
It depends.Single story if my guy is in the neighborhood then its base cost.If its a storm ridden area it will be a base cost just to spike the area and get into the neighborhood.

But usually its $225.

It takes longer to set up than it takes to remove and replace 20' of seamless.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #13

Just as an aside, in general spikes are far stronger than hangers. They do have at tendency to work themselves out over time, but will hold up to ice dams and such better. Most prefer hangers because of ease of install and the hidden factor, but spikes are stronger.
PatChap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #14
Roofmaster

I suppose you might be right, but spikes tend to split anything you drive them into unless you pilot drill.

Frankly, if you are having a problem with ice damming, you need to address it, or damage in your ceilings is going to occur.

Having started my life as a carpenter like my father and grandfather before me, then picking up other trades along the way. I abhor the use of a large Aluminum spike being driven into wood. Aluminum moves a lot, and Spikes always back out.

I like the new hidden hangers with the hex head coated screw installed maximum 2 ft. on center myself. Very clean looking, and you can remove them without destroying the gutter.

AND THEY DONT BEND

Old 01-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #15
Home Performance

As the others have said, it depends entirely on the full scope of the project. 20' of gutter could be 60' if it is second story with two outlets and the count the downspouts per ft. Coupled with the fact that it is a smallish job, it could be reasonable, or could be highway robbery depending on the details. Best thing is to get another quote or two.

Tags
gutter replacement, gutters, price comparison