DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Roofing/Siding (http://www.diychatroom.com/f9/)
-   -   Gutter Questions (http://www.diychatroom.com/f9/gutter-questions-180705/)

cbaur88 05-28-2013 12:33 PM

Gutter Questions
 
Hi folks, noticed that a few bolts from my back yard gutter are missing and seems to be creating a lull not allowing water to drain. I'd like to replace these bolts and pitch it correctly so water flows to the down spout. What am I looking for while shopping at my local HD/Lowes? Simple gutter bolts? Any other name or something I should be looking for? I assume they just screw into the facia board?

One more quick question which might be silly. Has anyone ever painted gutters? Or just simply replace them? I power washed the daylights out of them and they are just so worn and wouldn't come that much cleaner. They are scratched up and just really worn looking. Thanks in advance!

rossfingal 05-28-2013 01:48 PM

Are the gutters made of aluminum - galv. steel ...?
By "bolts" - do you means "spikes"?
A picture would help!

Yeah - you can paint gutters -
if they're prepped right.
Don't paint copper, though!

cbaur88 05-28-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rossfingal (Post 1189556)
Are the gutters made of aluminum - galv. steel ...?
By "bolts" - do you means "spikes"?
A picture would help!

Yeah - you can paint gutters -
if they're prepped right.
Don't paint copper, though!

Thanks Ross! Yes by bolts I mean spikes going through the face of the gutter into the facia. I would have to say they are aluminum for sure. I've priced some new and it don't look to expensive nor hard to do so we'll see I might opt for that. Thanks!

joecaption 05-28-2013 01:56 PM

Have some seamless gutters put up then there's not going to be any leaks and they will look far better.
Those gutter spikes are about usless use hidden gutter hangers instead.
Lowes and HD have them for about $1.79 each.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=3

cbaur88 05-28-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1189561)
Have some seamless gutters put up then there's not going to be any leaks and they will look far better.
Those gutter spikes are about usless use hidden gutter hangers instead.
Lowes and HD have them for about $1.79 each.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=3

Thanks Joe, I did see them after my posting. They looks much more secure and easy to put up. Yes looks like seamless is the way to go. Didn't realize how inexpensive it was to purchase the material. I don't have much to hang either so I might tackle it this summer. Thanks again!!

Oso954 05-28-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Yes looks like seamless is the way to go. Didn't realize how inexpensive it was to purchase the material.
You don't purchase material for seamless gutters. You hire a seamless gutter company and they form your gutters on-site and hang them.

cbaur88 05-28-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oso954 (Post 1189586)
You don't purchase material for seamless gutters. You hire a seamless gutter company and they form your gutters on-site and hang them.

Thanks for the FYI.........My house is small enough that I prob could use regular 10ft sections HD/Lowes sells and get away with it. One spot might be more then ten but I'd have to check. Thanks!

Windows on Wash 05-28-2013 03:02 PM

I would get a quote as a comparative too.

Gutters are something that a pro can do in less than 1/2 the time of a homeowner usually and you don't have to worry about dangling on a ladder.

More folks get hurt cleaning gutters than you think.

mj12 05-28-2013 05:35 PM

A pro can do it in half the time. I just got this funny image of a homeowner trying to hang a gutter. Gutters are best left to a pro. Pro being the key word. I would get a quote or two, gutters are much cheaper than you think. Those hidden hangers can be a pain sometimes because the shingles may hang over a little too far

cbaur88 05-29-2013 07:54 AM

Thanks fella's my house is small and not high and I don't have much length of gutter to hang. They are really short sections. If I had a bigger home with a tall roof I'd def leave it to the pro's. Thanks again!!

DexterII 05-29-2013 08:52 AM

I understand small and not high, but would still take the guys' advice, and get an estimate on having seamless installed. The guys that do this for a living are so quick and efficient, and obviously buy the material for less, that they are often in the same ballpark as what a homeowner would pay for just the material. As for cleaning the existing ones, we have a ranch, so not high either, so my wife cleaned the algae off with TSP a few years ago, rinsed them off, and they look like new again.

cbaur88 05-29-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DexterII (Post 1190204)
I understand small and not high, but would still take the guys' advice, and get an estimate on having seamless installed. The guys that do this for a living are so quick and efficient, and obviously buy the material for less, that they are often in the same ballpark as what a homeowner would pay for just the material. As for cleaning the existing ones, we have a ranch, so not high either, so my wife cleaned the algae off with TSP a few years ago, rinsed them off, and they look like new again.

Thanks Dex!!

Nailbags 05-29-2013 09:52 AM

Hire a gutter company to do it they can come out and make them on site hung and done faster then you or I could do it and be cheaper look nicer be in the color you want. and go with the hidden hangers.

csab_ 05-29-2013 11:56 AM

It seems like everybody says hire a pro, but no matter how cheap, it still would be at least a few hundred bucks, and you can hang the current ones and paint them for like $20. Gutter screws work just fine if you use them correctly.

Windows on Wash 05-29-2013 09:29 PM

The recommendation to hire is a pro is not simply from the standpoint of expense. That is probably the last point that I would argue in this case given the relative affordability of gutters.

My points are the potential hazardous working environment, the likelihood of it being done 100% correctly and quickly, as well as the lifetime lack of maintenance with a good seamless gutter system.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved