Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #1

Share |

Gutter guards under shingles?

I am looking at gutter guards. Some install flat on the gutter. They say those that install under the shingles will result in shingle damage. Others install under the shingles and claim it is entirely harmless and much more effective than those that are flat to the gutter.

So, does putting gutter guards under the shingles damage shingles. (My house is 7 years old, with 20 year shingles...)

I suppose the effectiveness could go either way; flat is more likely to get the water, but it is also more likely to trap debris.

Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #2

How would it damage the shingles? It's just thin piece that's slipped in under them.

gregzoll (07-27-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 02:12 AM   #3

I think its best to put it underneath the shingles. And as far as I know it doesn't damage the shingles.
roofingquotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #4

I had someone install a gutter guard in the summer, it resembles a grill. I noticed it has a rounded curve to it. NOW, trying to fix leaks into the soffit area, and am told the gutter guard he installed is to sit ON the top of the shingle and clip to the outer side of the gutter. I am told the Heritage shingles should be replaced all along where he had the guard under the shingle. HELP!!!!
husker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
Metal Roofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker08 View Post
I had someone install a gutter guard in the summer, it resembles a grill. I noticed it has a rounded curve to it. NOW, trying to fix leaks into the soffit area, and am told the gutter guard he installed is to sit ON the top of the shingle and clip to the outer side of the gutter. I am told the Heritage shingles should be replaced all along where he had the guard under the shingle. HELP!!!!

take a pic and post it.

Gutter guards installed this summer wont damage the shingles in a few months unless it was installed by a hack. We need a pic of the gutter with the guard installed to see what is going on.
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Those perforated metal guards sit inside the gutter at the top. Where that C is on both sides, is where the guard sits in. I have them and hate them, due to we have Maple trees, and the guards catch all of the helicopters, in the spring when they come off the trees.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
registered

Your ok. Normally you have ice and water shield starter shingle regular shingle. So plenty of protection.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
Your ok. Normally you have ice and water shield starter shingle regular shingle. So plenty of protection.
I do not see where the OP posted that they have Rain & Ice Shield, nor that if the roof was even done per mfg directions.

All we know is that they have a question if the gutter guards were properly installed. They have the same ones I have, and they are made to fit inside the gutter at the top in the C's, not under the shingle.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #9
registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
I do not see where the OP posted that they have Rain & Ice Shield, nor that if the roof was even done per mfg directions.

All we know is that they have a question if the gutter guards were properly installed. They have the same ones I have, and they are made to fit inside the gutter at the top in the C's, not under the shingle.
OK point taken
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:02 AM   #10
Website Owner

If installed properly any gutter guard, whether micro mesh, reverse curve, or aluminum, slides under the first shingle of your roof. This is true for most of the major brands that got the top spots in the leading consumer magazines. I have been in the gutter guard industry for awhile and own a website dedicated to gutter guards, why they are important, and contains reviews on the different types. Feel free to Click my name to visit the site. Anyway, gutter guards going under the shingle is very common and does not void you Roof warranty. You can PM me if you want me to get you in touch with a reputable local dealer

F.G.G.E. is offline   Reply With Quote