Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2012, 10:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Gutter garbage, (My second home is my roof)

Living on a green belt isn't exactly all it's cracked up to be. It seems like every tree pine needle and leaf ends up in my gutters. I can clean them out one week and the next they are filled to the brim again. One of the worst pine trees is about to meet up with my chainsaw.

Please recommend a leaf guard type product that works. A simple web page link would be fantastic. I also heard that removing the downspout and using chains for the water to flow down reduces gutter garbage. Any thought on that?

I live in the beautiful/green Seattle area. So, gutters are really important to my house.

Chiefit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefit View Post
I live in the beautiful/green Seattle area.
And beautiful it is (as long as you're not stuck in traffic).

Sometimes thereís just a price we pay for living in paradise and the bombardment of needles and leaves is just one of them.

I havenít met a gutter cap yet that was worth a shi , especially for the Pac. NW.

The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
Chiefit (09-19-2012)
Old 09-15-2012, 11:30 PM   #3

A picture, you will get when It's light out.

I am contemplating between trying fine mesh and filter flow (or both). Any insight on these two types of products?

Filter Flow:
http://www.guttersupply.com/p-gutter...ter-flow.gstml

Fine mesh:
http://www.guttersupply.com/p-Clean-...er-Guard.gstml

or Micro Mesh:
http://www.guttersupply.com/p-micro-...er-guard.gstml
Old 09-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #4

I work for a company in north Carolina that installs this gutter system, it works great, and has a lifetime no clog warranty.

Guttermaxx of Seattle
6852 S. 224th Street
Kent WA 98032

Phone: (253) 437-1173
www.guttermaxx.com
deesingleton14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deesingleton14 For This Useful Post:
Chiefit (09-19-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesingleton14;
I work for a company in north Carolina that installs this gutter system, it works great, and has a lifetime no clog warranty.

]
hi spam,

and they are all guaranteed. aren't they?

and i bet if i asked you if you ever had to get up on someones roof and clean their gutters after install, you would say no, because your product, out of hundreds, happens to be the only one that actually works.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #6

No I would not, we just happen to have a product that has a design that works well, I am not a spam, I am a 3rd generation builder and have been on the building materials sales side for over 15 years, guttermax or K Guard on the east coast is a great selling product in our market, I have been selling it for 8 years and we do have an occasional clog, but with the warranty, we clean those clogs free of charge. I hate that you are discouraged with gutters, but there are systems out there that work and this is one of them. We have been installing them since 1996 without 1 complaint that resulted in our having to give a refund or having to remove them.
deesingleton14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
bbo

excuse my cynicism, but seeing someone register and post about their business and product at the onset seems to only promote their business and not the best interest of the OP necessarily.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,992

Do not use one of those drop in solutions (i.e. the foam wedge).

Use a stainless screened mesh like the others that were posted.

Leaf Solutions and Leaf Filter both make good ones. The Leaf Filter is a bit tight on the mesh so it will actually accumulate organic materials and can moss up.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
Chiefit (09-19-2012)
Old 09-19-2012, 11:05 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for chiming in:

Here is my conclusion:

-The foam-type will gain moss and other organic material that will clog up the gutter in seattle area. Any organic material that clogs the gutter defeats the purpose. This makes perfect sense! Good advice:

-The next most publicized and less expensive alternative is the gutter guard. My neighbors have it, and the surface tension of the water drags the small pine needles into gutter and it plugs up the gutter once again. They also haven't cleaned the gutter in ages and little weeds are growing out of it. In addition, some sort of fungus/mold loves to grow on them. I have no doubt this is a good leaf gaurd, which would help me with the Maple trees around my house. I like the effort and appreciate the thought:

The mess/micromesh seems like the way to go. Not only is it made of metal, that is a good moss killer, it's also too fine for small needles to go through. It's costly, but worth it to not have to live on the roof for a while. It will be easily cleaned with a leaf blower and I think this will be the best bet...

My Oregon buddy, here. He had probably the most honest advice. There really are no superb products to get what I want done. He is the BLUF (look it up). Thanks for being honest:
Old 09-20-2012, 05:53 AM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,172

[quote=Windows on Wash;1012859]Do not use one of those drop in solutions (i.e. the foam wedge).

Leaf Solutions and Leaf Filter both make good ones. The Leaf Filter is a bit tight on the mesh so it will actually accumulate organic materials and can moss up.[/quote]

Why not?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:12 AM   #11
Exterior Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
[quote=Windows on Wash;1012859]Do not use one of those drop in solutions (i.e. the foam wedge).

Leaf Solutions and Leaf Filter both make good ones. The Leaf Filter is a bit tight on the mesh so it will actually accumulate organic materials and can moss up.

Why not?[/quote]

Chris,

We have had customers request those items before and we have wound up going back in a couple of years to change them out. They wind up shrinking and degrading in UV light. When I looked at them after the fact they were about 1/2 the installed size.

This is just my experience and I can't account for all the systems out there.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:33 AM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Why not?
Chris,

We have had customers request those items before and we have wound up going back in a couple of years to change them out. They wind up shrinking and degrading in UV light. When I looked at them after the fact they were about 1/2 the installed size.

This is just my experience and I can't account for all the systems out there.[/quote]

Thanks. I just got done putting some in mine and was just wondering. I live in a very shaded woodsy lot, so hopefully the uv rays will not be so agressive. We will see.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #13
Shut in w/o Home

Quote:
Why not?
Chris,

This is just my experience and I can't account for all the systems out there.[/quote]

I install the product the OP linked to. I used it on my own home for 5 years prior to selling any. I haven't seen any UV degradation or shrinking. Must be a completely different product you've dealt with. It's the only product we'll install, especially for half rounds.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #14
Exterior Construction

Might have been seeyou.

Which one (brand) are you putting in?
Old 09-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #15
Shut in w/o Home

Quote:
Might have been seeyou.

Which one (brand) are you putting in?

http://www.guttersupply.com/p-gutter...ter-flow.gstml

seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote