Greenhouse Glass Roof Seal? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2010, 07:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

greenhouse glass roof seal?

Hello! I have designed and built this greenhouse. It is covered completely with glass panels from old sliding glass doors. I want to cover the roof as well but thought I would share my idea of sealing the glass panels with you guys and see what you all think or may suggest?

I plan on covering each seam of glass with a strip of blue skin and then a strip of red cedar on top and then drive a rubber gasketed screw through the cedar, and through the blue skin, into the rafters to make a nice tight seal.

Do you think it will seal properly? Do you have any better suggestions?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
greenhouse glass roof seal?-greenhouse.jpg   greenhouse glass roof seal?-greenhouse1.jpg   greenhouse glass roof seal?-greenhouse3.jpg  

Advertisement

wt timberworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

use strips the same thickness of the glass as 'dividers' between the glass panels
use a bead of silicone to bed the glass onto the timber. This will also help as the timbers age/move.
blue skin the adjoining glass panels and trim out with cedar.
I suggest screwing the cedar. Even tempered glass needs changing if your hammer comes out of your pouch (don't ask how I know)

I did 6 tempered flat glass sky lights on a 28 year old log house the same way. only difference was some flashing on the bottom edge because the glass was only 6 ft tall in a 28 ft long shingled roof

Advertisement

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I was going to lay strips of blue skin on top of the rafters first before positioning the glass instead of silicone. What do you think about that?

So when you did your roof on that log house, it was totally water sealed?

My rafters are about 10 feet long, so i was going to lay the 6 foot panels from the bottoms up, and then design a vented ridge system at the top out of polly. How would a glass panel work layed above the 6 foot glass panel up to the ridge to cover my top 4 feet? Is there some way you think I could get a sealed seam without overlapping these panels?
wt timberworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

laying the blue skin on the timber is a waste of the blue skin, in my opinion. Won't do anything.
yes, the roof was totally waterproof.

to use a piece of glass on the 4ft section above, I would consider rabbeting the bottom pane into the timbers and using the above method for the top sheet with a metal flashing under the top sheet/over the bottom sheet. Silicone the flashing to the top sheet so wind can't blow rain back up.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:16 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

very hard to seal these ''wet'' glazing systems,better off looking for a glazing bar system using gaskets and internal drainage systems

http://www.ussky.com/

Last edited by Tom Struble; 02-14-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote