Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2011, 09:47 AM   #1

Share |

green growth on roof -- cleaning tips?

Hi,

I recently trimmed back some tree branches that had been hanging over a portion of my roof. Under where the branches used to hang, there is a bunch of green growth -- not sure if it's lichen, moss, or something else.

Any tips for cleaning this off?

I've read that using a power washer can damage the shingles. Is that true? If so, what should I use instead?

Thanks!

19mquinn79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:05 AM   #2

DON'T use a power washer...you'll wash the granules off the shingles if pressure is too high. I would suggest mixing what will be a full strength solution of oxygen bleach (like Oxi-clean) and water( in a sprayer of some sort) use a soft bristle brush on a broomstick and lightly brush the alage off after letting the mixture sit on the mildewed area for about 15 or so minutes to soften an kill the alage...rinse off with hose and then do a second coat to remove any stains or stubborn alage. Repeat if necessary. Be careful up there as the mildew is slippery...especially when wet.

Once complete, if you still have vegetation hanging over the area or if it doesn't receive full sunlight to ry out, you can put up zinc strips which will inhibit future alage growth.

Do I dare say "have fun"!!

Horseygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseygirl View Post
DON'T use a power washer...you'll wash the granules off the shingles if pressure is too high. I would suggest mixing what will be a full strength solution of oxygen bleach (like Oxi-clean) and water( in a sprayer of some sort) use a soft bristle brush on a broomstick and lightly brush the alage off after letting the mixture sit on the mildewed area for about 15 or so minutes to soften an kill the alage...rinse off with hose and then do a second coat to remove any stains or stubborn alage. Repeat if necessary. Be careful up there as the mildew is slippery...especially when wet.

Once complete, if you still have vegetation hanging over the area or if it doesn't receive full sunlight to ry out, you can put up zinc strips which will inhibit future alage growth.

Do I dare say "have fun"!!
This is perfect advice right here. Lightly clean the roof and cut back vegetation so it can dry out.

You won't believe how many folks get their roofs power washed and wonder why they re-grow the moss/mold/algae that much faster and why the roof fails prematurely.

The Zinc strips do work but I am not a fan of them if only from the stand point that the run off water contains the heavy metal contamination and if everyone was doing that, we would have bio-accumulation issues in ground/run off water.

Next time you replace the roof, look at metal or other non-asphalt options.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote