Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #1
mem

Share |
Grace vs Certainteed

Couldn't find any recent discussions on this topic. Which is better Grace Ice & Water Shield HT or Certainteed WinterGard HT? Is there a reason a contractor would specify Grace in the contract and show up on start day with Certainteed. Is it merely a cost difference between the two? Or is there a performance difference as well? Is it paying for a Cadillac and getting a Buick?
mem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #2

Grace vs Certainteed

I belive the Grace is supposedly much better. The Certaineed is 1/2 the cost of Grace, and is what I used when roofing my dads home.
housegsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
Doing This Way Too Long

Grace vs Certainteed

Well, if he specified Grace in the contract and isn't using it then it's your option to call him on it. As far as performance, If the roof is installed properly then it won't matter. If he specified Grace in the contract then it is not a part of any mfr system and will not affect any warranty you receive.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
mem

Grace vs Certainteed

So, If I 'call him on it' what should I expect from him? I did insist on using Grace all along-that's why it is spec'ed in the contract. Can I expect him to start all over-very expensive on his part-or should I expect him to make some sort or cost concession?
I have a lot of other issues with the way the roof is being done as well.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
Next Time...New Build

Grace vs Certainteed

Since roofs are applied in a very quick time period, you best bring this up ASAP. Especially being underlayment, all of that is going to be covered in the very near future.

Bottom line, he is not in compliance with the contract and this needs to be addressed. I would bet his argument would be that the products are equivalent, which they are similar, but that is not what the two of you agreed to use. Call him on it right away. If it were me, I would discuss an adjustment to the price. Would probably be helpful to have the price of each product in your hand so you have some solid figures.

If you are having other issues, doesn't do anyone any bit of good if it is not tossed into the open.

Good luck.
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
mem

Grace vs Certainteed

Thanks RickyBobby, I actually told him about using Grace when the material was still on his truck and he just brushed me off.

Can you tell me what the typical prices are in Buffalo for the two products. I have heard the Grace is twice as expensive to buy, if not more so.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
mem

Grace vs Certainteed

Quote:
Originally Posted by housegsx View Post
I belive the Grace is supposedly much better. The Certaineed is 1/2 the cost of Grace, and is what I used when roofing my dads home.
housegsx,

So when you used the Certainteed, did it stick very well to the deck? What was the temp outside when you applied it?
Old 12-16-2010, 02:19 PM   #8

Grace vs Certainteed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mem View Post
housegsx,

So when you used the Certainteed, did it stick very well to the deck? What was the temp outside when you applied it?
Sorry for the mix up. I actually use OC Weatherlock G, not Certainteed. It stuck great to the osb. Especially once it was down for a day or so. It was about 90 degrees when I put it down. I had to keep it in the shade until I was ready to use it.

Anyways, I've just heard that the Grace outperforms the others. And it seals best around the nails.
housegsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:02 PM   #9
Next Time...New Build

Grace vs Certainteed

The Grace is approximately $80 / square (108 sq. ft). The Certaineed is about $70 / 2 sq. So it is about half the price.

In my opinion, the Grace is by far the best option if you can absorb the cost.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:16 PM   #10
mem

Grace vs Certainteed

That's what I thought also.

They put the WintergardHT down in temps of 45-50. It didn't stick a lick. And it was all brand new OSB. They just went to town on it with the hammer tackers. Jeez, you'd think they were getting paid by the staple!
Old 12-16-2010, 03:26 PM   #11
mem

Grace vs Certainteed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
The Grace is approximately $80 / square (108 sq. ft). The Certaineed is about $70 / 2 sq. So it is about half the price.

In my opinion, the Grace is by far the best option if you can absorb the cost.
I thought I had absorbed the cost as it was spec'ed in the contract. The extra I paid for the Grace is now in the contractor's pocket. That's just not right. Fifty five bucks a square on thirty square--that adds up quickly!
Old 12-17-2010, 06:55 AM   #12
Next Time...New Build

Grace vs Certainteed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mem View Post
That's what I thought also.

They put the WintergardHT down in temps of 45-50. It didn't stick a lick. And it was all brand new OSB. They just went to town on it with the hammer tackers. Jeez, you'd think they were getting paid by the staple!
That is very common. Grace doesn't stick that well in colder temps either. Stapling with the hammer tacker is the proper method...even if it was 80 degrees we would always still use the tacker (although not as many because it wasn't needed)

Sounds like the install with this is correct, just not the bait and switch that you were a part of. That is still the unanswered question.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:14 PM   #13
mem

Grace vs Certainteed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
That is very common. Grace doesn't stick that well in colder temps either. Stapling with the hammer tacker is the proper method...even if it was 80 degrees we would always still use the tacker (although not as many because it wasn't needed)

Sounds like the install with this is correct, just not the bait and switch that you were a part of. That is still the unanswered question.
Thanks, it's at least partially comforting to know that it was installed correctly anyways, albeit the wrong product. I'm trying to arrange a meeting to discuss this and other issues with the roof.

Do you have any expertise with standing seam roofs? I plan to start a new thread to try to get some questions answered. I need to pick a few brains around here.