Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2006, 10:44 PM   #1

Share |

good roofers

Does anyone know of any honest, competent, roofing companies in the Western Washington Area? I live near Federal Way, Washington and I need a new roof for a four-bedroom rambler with a 2:12 pitch. I am interested in metal. I want to save money.

Here is another question. If I get a roofing job done with a warranty, and the roof goes bad before the warranty expires, and the company has gone into chapter 11, do I have no legal recourse? I have not experienced this, but I want to get an idea how much trust to put in warranties. Suppose the company has not gone into chapter 11, but simply folded. Would I have a way to get the proprietor to honor a warranty?
Suppose he went to another state and then I found out where he was?

One more thing: If I got a metal roof, how much would that increast the amount of money I could sell the house for?

kingcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:09 PM   #2

good roofers

I can't help with the "who should I hire", but as far as warranties and such: Unfortunately, if a company is incorporated, they are considered a seperate entity from the owner personally. Meaning, if you have a problem, and if it comes to a lawsuit (and if they kept the corp. accounts low on funds by transfering any large amounts to personal accounts), they can simply say "Here's all the money we have(not much)....the corporation is dissolved, and your out of luck...sorry". Obviously there's a little more to it than that, but basically that would be what would happen. Is it good business practice?..no, Is it honorable?..no, is it done every day in spite of those 2 things?...you betcha

jproffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:51 PM   #3
registered

good roofers

Jproffer is exactly correct. You could sue the corporation but not sue the individual. The corp could also file bankruptcy and then just disolve.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote