Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2011, 02:31 AM   #1
DIYer

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Give a first timer some advice

Hi folks

I just bought a second home as a rental property and it has unfortunately not been in good hands
The last roofing job done was 3-4 years ago and while there are no current leaks, the job visually doesn't look very professional. There are also at least 3 layers of asphalt shingles

I feel like it is probably a good idea to do a tear off and re-roof...but, I am extremely (and unfortunately) low on funds after all the closing costs and escrow holds so I am tempted to leave it as is and then next year after the rains tear it off and re-roof it myself. I had two roofing bids: one for $10k and one for $13k

I've never done an asphalt shingle roof before so I'm questioning whether I'm up to snuff for the job. I am familiar with general construction and have done a small EPDM green roof before. The house is approx. 1100 sq ft; picture attached below
Attached Images

dwoloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:48 AM   #2
Residential Roofer

3 layers of shingles on a 1100 square feet, means there's roughly 2000 square feet of roof going on but roughly 6000 square feet of roof coming off.

Most likely going to be strip sheathing instead of plywood, so even of there isn't a lot off deck replacement there's going to be a lot of re-nailing of the deck boards.

There's most likely going to be issues with pulling siding off to replace step flashing's.

There's a lot of back breaking, knuckle scraping work on a 3 layer tear off even if things go good.

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:42 AM   #3

Luckily for you asphalt roofing isn't rocket science. But it is back breaking work, especially 3 layers.

You can roof your house with the instructions that are printed on a bundle wrapper. The only issue I can see is the chimney flashing. You would probably want to build a cricket in behind it as opposed to using a back pan flashing.

The step flashing going up the wall may be an issue aswell, but without seeing it I can't say for sure.

The biggest issue for you if you tackle this, is time. It's going to take you a long time to tear-off 3 layers and lay 1. What you may want is to hire a tear-off crew to remove your 3 layers, then you can lay down some waterproof underlayment (Titanium UDL, Deck Armour), then you can install the new roof at your own pace with no worry of weather.
bcdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #4

"There are also at least 3 layers of asphalt shingles"-------- go in the attic and look for boards running horizontally- perpendicular to the rafters. 1x4, or 1x6, installed every other one (skip sheathing)---board-space-board,etc.for the wood shingle install, originally. They make a big mess. And, the added cost of panel sheathing (OSB or plywood) possibly with panel "H" clips for 24"o.c. and thinner sheathing. Your roof has a few tricky spots, may want to hire a pro unless your skill level/endurance is up to it...

Gary
Old 11-16-2011, 04:52 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 116

+1

This is probably not the roof that you want to get broken in on, but I respect your industriousness.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 18

Just did my own 3-layer tear-off and reshingle.............it will take 10 years off your life, believe me. Those long roofing nails holding on that top layer are a *****! Started out nailing with hammer, advanced to compressor/nailing gun which helped. No, I am not very fast, but, I did take my time to do things right. Best of luck, you really can do it.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:40 PM   #7

This is definitely not the easiest roof to start with. Quite the undertaking on that rip, hope you got some handy hardworking friends!
Roofster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:45 PM   #8
MJW

Why did you not take out the loan to cover a new roof? Should have been obvious it needed to be replaced. Surprised your ins. company or mortgage company didn't say anything.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #9
DIYer

Well....glad I asked! Sounds like its out of my league. $10k is a lot of money but might be money well spent. Does $10k sound right? This is in urban California, includes tearoff and disposal, gutters and downspouts, 3 eyebrow vents (has NO venting right now), 7/16 OSB, GAF Timberline, metal flashing
dwoloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:15 AM   #10
Residential Roofer

10K for all that for sure isn't to high, at least not for my area, if anything it's a bit low so make sure you get everything in writing and check references.

Ask if you can ride by and look at some of their recently completed work as well as talk to some recent customers.

Don't pay 100% up front, pay 30, 40 even 50% up front if they ask and hold the remainder to be paid upon completion and after you inspect their work and approve it.

Good Luck.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slyfox For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (11-18-2011)
Old 11-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 4

Hi,

Last year I re-roofed my house, which is a 7-in-12 pitch, 35sq roof with 5 valleys and multiple hips. Still hasn't leaked, and according to my neighbors (who work in construction) I did a good job of it.

Am I glad I did it? Yes. Would I leave it to the pros next time? Probably. And I only had a single layer to tear off and didn't have to replace any sheathing.

If you are prepared for physical exertion and occasional-to-constant discomfort (roofing takes a whole new set of muscles!), and to thoroughly research and think hard about the tricky roofing details like flashing intersections etc, IMO there's no reason you can't successfully re-roof your own house. The pro's will just get the job done a lot quicker, as they are better prepared for the surprises that inevitably pop up.

Just don't expect it to be easy!

Cheers
Chris

spiragui is offline   Reply With Quote