Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #1

Share |

Geocel or Through the Roof?

My hunting shack has a leak near the chimney. Instead of tarring it up again thinking about using a possibly better product to hopefully get this leak to stop for good (at least for a longer time). Keep in mind this is not a structure where I plan on re-roofing any time soon, it is just a simple shack no water/electricity/etc.

Can't decide between the two - geocel or through the roof? Any recommendations? If I buy the gallon can I keep reusing it or will it go bad?

Thanks

snosurfa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:22 AM   #2

Is this a round stove pipe, a real chimmney?
Far better to figure out why it's leaking and fix it right then to blob on stuff and have to go back and try and get all that goo off when it cracks to fix it. And also now have to redo the sheating where it rotted as well as any inside damage.
There's no reason to have to replace the roof to do a simple flasing repair.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
Disabled wood vet

You can try that stuff they advertise on tv- that rubber in a can spray.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #4

It's a masonry chimney made for a wood stove - so it does not go all the way to the floor of the shack. I currently have 3 plastic bags over it as it is unused - so I know the leak is either coming from the base (which is not covered) or somewhere on the roof. There is no flashing - just a bunch of tar around the chimney but I see some cracks in this and I think this is where the water is leaking.

Ultimately I need to redo the wood under the roof but for now I don't have the time or money I just need a quick fix - this is like a roomy tent, nothing fancy all concrete floors and masonry walls.
snosurfa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #5

Well there's your ansewer, no flashing it's always going to leak. This is not an expencive or hard to do fix.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #6

Since this is a hunting shack and not your home,

Here is a link: http://flashingkits.com/uniflash/uniflashhome.html to a flashing kit and instructions online. These kits do not cut in to the brick, which is the proper way to flash a chimney, but for the hunting shack quick $40.00 fix.

Complete Roof
chb70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
MJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by snosurfa7 View Post
My hunting shack has a leak near the chimney. Instead of tarring it up again thinking about using a possibly better product to hopefully get this leak to stop for good (at least for a longer time). Keep in mind this is not a structure where I plan on re-roofing any time soon, it is just a simple shack no water/electricity/etc.

Can't decide between the two - geocel or through the roof? Any recommendations? If I buy the gallon can I keep reusing it or will it go bad?

Thanks
Through the roof is a really good product. Get a few tubes to seal it up for the time being, but get it fixed right ASAP.

MJW is offline   Reply With Quote