Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2008, 11:28 PM   #1

Share |

General price range for roofing supplies, labor, and services

I've been planning on doing my own roof as the garage portion is in really bad shape. For some unknown reason the roof on the house was fairly new when we moved in around 12 years ago, but they did not replace the roof on the attached garage at the same time. To make a long story short I've put it off since it didn't leak, and started saving money. I have also been reading some books to get a better understanding of what is required to do it myself and started gathering tools, equipment and pricing.

I calculated the supplies at right at 2400 including shingles, underlayment, flashing for eves and rake, vents, ridge caps, nails, dumpster rental and a life-line and harness. I need 19 squares of shingles, and the roof is very simple with a 4/12 slope.

Around the same time I was given the number of a friend of a friend who is a roofer. I decided to call him and get an estimate, since I would love to now have to spend my vacation roofing the house. I was hoping for an estimate around in the $4k to $5k range as I had been told that having it installed was generally about twice as much as the supplies. Even though that was much more than I had planned on spending I thought it was reasonable. But his estimate was $6k - $8k, depending on some options etc. He is going to send a detailed estimate but it hasn't arrived yet. I plan on getting a few more estimates to help gauge the general range.

My question is does this sound like a reasonable charge? I know prices vary a lot around the country but this seems very high to me. I'm located in the Kansas City area.

I also called Lowes and Home Depot to see if they could deliver the shingles to the roof, in case I end up doing it myself. Lowes could not, and Home Depot could, but through a third party. Delivery however added a price of $10.50 per bundle (3 per square), to the $23 per bundle price. This also seemed very high in comparison to the prices I had read, even after adjusting for inflation. I'll try contacting some roofing supply companies as well and see if they sell to consumers and how their delivery charges compare.

Last edited by GrumpyInKC; 10-02-2008 at 11:30 PM. Reason: corrected grammer
GrumpyInKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyInKC View Post
I've been planning on doing my own roof as the garage portion is in really bad shape. For some unknown reason the roof on the house was fairly new when we moved in around 12 years ago, but they did not replace the roof on the attached garage at the same time. To make a long story short I've put it off since it didn't leak, and started saving money. I have also been reading some books to get a better understanding of what is required to do it myself and started gathering tools, equipment and pricing.

I calculated the supplies at right at 2400 including shingles, underlayment, flashing for eves and rake, vents, ridge caps, nails, dumpster rental and a life-line and harness. I need 19 squares of shingles, and the roof is very simple with a 4/12 slope.

Around the same time I was given the number of a friend of a friend who is a roofer. I decided to call him and get an estimate, since I would love to now have to spend my vacation roofing the house. I was hoping for an estimate around in the $4k to $5k range as I had been told that having it installed was generally about twice as much as the supplies. Even though that was much more than I had planned on spending I thought it was reasonable. But his estimate was $6k - $8k, depending on some options etc. He is going to send a detailed estimate but it hasn't arrived yet. I plan on getting a few more estimates to help gauge the general range.

My question is does this sound like a reasonable charge? I know prices vary a lot around the country but this seems very high to me. I'm located in the Kansas City area.

I also called Lowes and Home Depot to see if they could deliver the shingles to the roof, in case I end up doing it myself. Lowes could not, and Home Depot could, but through a third party. Delivery however added a price of $10.50 per bundle (3 per square), to the $23 per bundle price. This also seemed very high in comparison to the prices I had read, even after adjusting for inflation. I'll try contacting some roofing supply companies as well and see if they sell to consumers and how their delivery charges compare.
The estimate for the roof sounds maybe a little high for my area,but everywhere is different.I could do it here for around 5k if everything was as easy as you descibed.Your price for delivery cost from Home Depot is crazy.I usually get a charge for $100 plus a $1 a unit for rooftop delivery

johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:58 AM   #3
Residential Roofer

$215.00 per square = $4750.00, would be the starting price in my area,
but like Johnk says, prices change from one area to another due to differences in cost of living, etc.

Starting price means, if we do not have to double handle the materials,
theres no wood work to be done,
theres only one existing layer of shingles to be torn off rather than two or three,
having 40 yr shingle installed would cost more than installing a 25 yr shingle,
and a dozen other reasons that could increase the price.

The price you show for delivery is crazy,
at that price you could pay some one $100.00 bucks a day 'even at 3 days' to carry them up the ladder and save money.
I'm 46 years old this November and I could carry 19 square up to a one story 4/12 in to say the least less than two hours.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:11 AM   #4

Skip the box stores and check with roofing suppliers. There are several here in KC. ABC and Spec come to mind right off. You'll find that the box stores often deal through local distributors anyhow, so you're just adding the box store as a middleman (and often an incompetent one at that). Most any roofing supplier will be able to deliver to you and belt the bundles right up onto your roof for a reasonable fee.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:21 AM   #5

Thanks everyone for the replies. I just needed a sanity check and it looks like what everyone is saying is more in line with what I thought.

Quote:
I could do it here for around 5k if everything was as easy as you descibed. Your price for delivery cost from Home Depot is crazy.I usually get a charge for $100 plus a $1 a unit for rooftop delivery
I would be happy with that delivery cost, $160 vs $720.

The roof does look pretty straight forward to me, no hips, valleys, etc. the only "tricky" parts are the flashing around a chimney and the garage roof runs under the eve of the house and only leaves a few inches between the peak of the garage and the soffit in that area.

I should have also mentioned that the house roof, about 13 sqares is 2 layers. He also said he thought they would need to replace one or two sheets of sheething. He thought one for sure (water damage at bottom corner of garage where shingles got broke by a basketball that took a bad bounce off of the rim a couple of years ago). The other he would have on hand incase they needed it. I didn't mention these in my original post as I didn't think either would add more than a couple of hundred to the estimate.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Skip the box stores and check with roofing suppliers. There are several here in KC. ABC and Spec come to mind right off. You'll find that the box stores often deal through local distributors anyhow, so you're just adding the box store as a middleman (and often an incompetent one at that). Most any roofing supplier will be able to deliver to you and belt the bundles right up onto your roof for a reasonable fee.
Went by ABC over my lunch hour but they're wholesale only (at least according to their door). I'll try calling Spec and see what they have to say. Know any others?
Old 10-03-2008, 03:45 PM   #7

There are actually dozens of them. Do a Google search for "roof supply kansas city" (or Overland Park, Lees Summit, or wherever) and you'll find a number of them. Make some calls and check prices.

Sometimes wholesalers will deal with contractors only, but some will let you pay cash or check, or open an account with them. You won't get their best price necessarily, because they have to protect their customers that are roofing contractors. It never hurts to ask.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:14 PM   #8
registered

ABC in my area charges 25 dollars gas only charge for curb side delivery. The most you should pay for rooftop is 85 dollars. What shingle do you want to go with? Gaf Timberline 30 or Tamko 30 or landmark 30 you don't say. I think the estimate is high for kc area. That isn't a prime big money area. 19 square should be around 5 thousand. If you have a chimmey that needs to be flashed that is a additional cost. A roofer would figure 4-7 hours labor there.

Ps have thekctermite give you the names of some roofing contractors he knows for bids.

Last edited by 747; 10-04-2008 at 10:18 PM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote