Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2013, 07:09 AM   #1

Share |

Garage siding at ground

Hi, hope I could get some ideas to solve a potential problem. My daughter purchased a home in CT and upon inspection it was noted that the vinyl siding in the garage goes right down to the grass line around the entire structure. The inspector said that siding will promote moisture build up and even invite termites. Inside the garage, the sill plates sit directly on the concrete floor. There is no cylinder block or poured sill for the wood plate to sit on.
I guess my first question is does that meet code and secondly how would you correct it. My guess is the only way you remedy this would be to secure the framing while you cut out the stud wall to make concrete sill. Also is there some alternative way to be able to remove the exterior siding?
Thanks Kevin
kapry13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:33 AM   #2

Garage siding at ground

It would not meet modern codes.
Now it would have to be at least 6" above grade.
I've made a ton of money from this one builders 101 mistake.
Posting some picture will sure help.
While adding a row of block would work it's a lot of work and there's some easier ways to fix it.
One way I do it is by removing the bottom rows of siding, cover the sheathing with Storm And Ice Shield. A row of vinyl lumber set where it will be about 3/8" below a lap of the siding. A piece of Z molding, A strip of J moulding then reinstall the siding.
No you can weed whack and not tear up the siding and could even back fill to help keep the water from getting in under the wall.
Windows on Wash (08-27-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #3

Garage siding at ground

Thanks for a great idea. That should resolve the issue, still a little worried about the studs on the garage floor but there's no easy answer for that one.
kapry13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #4

Garage siding at ground

There's thousands of garages built that way.