DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

garage roof leak

8K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  johnk 
#1 ·
I have two leaks in my garage roof, but I have never patched a roof. Can I simply install another layor of shingles on top of the area where the leak occurs,
or do I need to remove the existing shingles, or do I need to re-shingle the entire roof? I had hoped to avoid the latter option for now.

Thanks

#3 ·
Do Not put another layer of shingle over old ones!!! I know alot of people do it, but it just delays the problem(if it doesn't cause more problems)!!!! Not knowing how your roof is layed out it's alittle hard to give full advise, but if you KNOW where the leaks are, it's easy enough to take the surrounding shingles out and put them new ones back in!! The easiest way is like Grumpy kind of said, Call a PROFESSIONAL!! It may cost you alittle but it will be guarenteed!!! Good Luck!!!!!

Dave

#9 ·
I don't devalue my knowledge or expertise.Its just some come here hoping for a simple solution.Its not rocket science "if" you know exactly where the leak is coming from.Thats where we come into play.Problem solving is our forte.I agree it can be dangerous for the Diyer,but if they want to go up there,they are going up anyways.But I guess I should add the "be careful" part from now on.I agree its always better to hire a professional,but us as men hate saying thet we couldn't do something,lol.Take care Grumpy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.