Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2006, 12:10 PM   #1

Share |

GAF vs Elk

Is there really a difference between these shingles? My wife , after a long search, chose Elk weathered wood shingles. GAF has weathered wood as well, but she thinks they look more gray than brown, while Elk has a browner tint. Our roofer says Elk shingles are terrible - they fall apart and are used by builders because they are cheaper. I called the place he gets his shingles and they reiterated what he said. I called another place that sells both brands and they said they're fine. Should we strick with the roofers brand - gaf- even though we like the color of the Elk better?

Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:28 PM   #2
registered

GAF vs Elk

The majority of the guys do like Gaf timberline 40 shingles. It does come in a color like weather wood. Which is a really sharp like brown roof i have seen actually on a roof and it looked sharp. Another shingle the guys like are tamko and finally certainteed landmark TL. Hope that helps.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:29 PM   #3
registered

GAF vs Elk

Ps. Its called weather wood blend comes in gaf timberline 40 and is one very sharp shingle. I had to check my email to find that.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 04:18 PM   #4
MJW

GAF vs Elk

Why not try the Landmark? I think it is closer to the Elk color than the Timberline. I personally like the Timberline colors, but GAF is too commercialized.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:07 AM   #5

GAF vs Elk

Elk and GAF are both good. Certainteed Landmarks are made by a French company that bought out Certainteed I think its called San Gobain or somthing like that. they also bought out Bird. I love there Grand Manors though French or not, but the Landmarks look more phoney than a Timberline though.

RooferJim

www.jbennetteroofing.com
RooferJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:18 AM   #6
Commercial Roofing

GAF vs Elk

Wethered wood roofiing looks grey, like GAF's color.

Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote