Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2010, 11:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Gaf Timberline

Hey guys (and gals),

I have read so many threads that my head hurts . I have made the decision to put Gaf Timberline on my roof (58 sq.) I have it narrowed down to the GAF Timberline 40 yr or the Ultra (lifetime-ya right) . I know the Ultra is made identical to the 40 yr but is thicker due to shigle build up on the underside.

The extra cost to upgrade to the Ultra is $600. My question is this; Is the apperance of the Ultra shingle worth the extra money? Looking at the shingle itself is not very revealing so my question goes out to those who have installed both.

Thank you for your input.

skiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Gaf Timberline

I just had my roof done in Timberline lifetime (whose lifetime, exactly? )

Incidentally enough there was a small mis-communication that caused the 30 yrs to be installed on one portion of my roof, and the lifetimes installed on the rest. It was later resolved but it gave me a chance to see the difference when they were on the house. And yes, there was a visible difference. The extra thickness of the lifetime gives a lot more "shadow" coming off of the "tabs" (for lack of a better word). Seeing them side by side I like the lifetimes better, but if you DIDNT see them side by side you might never notice.

As I drive around in my town I look at shingles and it seems there are a lot less of the thicker (lifetime? 50 yr?) architectural shingles around than the thinner ones. Im glad I spent the extra $$$, though. In the grand scheme of things it wasnt a huge price increase, and if it adds any longevity to the lifetime of the roof then even better.

Also, I don't know if you have any steep roof portions (I have a cathedral that is really steep) but that really allows you to see how much better a thicker shingle looks. Our roofer told us the lifetimes would look really nice on the cathedral because of the "in your face" angle, and he was correct.
-Chris

Last edited by chrisexv6; 05-04-2010 at 08:41 PM.
chrisexv6 is offline   Reply With Quote