GAF Roof... The Best - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2006, 02:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

GAF Roof... the best

I have a friend that is in the roofing business. He sells mostly the GAF line. He is advising me to get the GAF "system" with strictly GAF components.

So far the Timberline 30 or Ultra roof shingles are the only ones on the table. I live on the West Coast outside of GAF's "Cold Region".

My questions: On a souther exposure 4/12 no hip/valley/gable roof Do I need to use the Stormguard or weatherwatch? If so can I get by ok with just sheeting at the perimeter and pipe/vents? We never get anymore than a dusting of snow- occasionally an inch or 2 maybe once in a 4 year span. If I could get by without this without much concern I will; but having said that I don't mind spending the money if the benefits are strongly in place.

What about felt? I am told to get Leatherback to go with the Timberline. Is this going to make the install easier? Is it the best option? IS there a product that will do as good for less and not kill me on warranty later? 15 or 30... not sure what the diff is?
Lastly, the Ridge Cap. I have a DIY video that says I should just cut my own from shingles. The GAF system specifies use of TimberTex; but I don't see it as a condition of warranty.
My home is 70' at the ridge. Are there better options?

Seems like it would be worth the diff of about $450 (18 squares) to upgrade from Tim30 to Tim Ultra. In 30 years if the roof fails and the GAF install guidelines for nailing/venting, etc., have been met, what can I expect in the way of Satisfaction if I am the installer?

Thanks,
Ed

Advertisement

EdPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:09 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

GAF Roof... the best

GAF is certainly a good brand and the Timberlines have a great look. there certified contractor program has the best warranties in the industry no doubt. all my golden pledge warranty roofs are inspected by there inspector before they sign off on the warranty that covers 100% labor and materials. That said I also like ELK and Owens Corning as well, Certainteed has some shingles I like such as the Grand Manor and Hattaras, dont like there Landmarks though.

RooferJim

Advertisement

RooferJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 04:26 PM   #3
registered

Rewards Points: 524

GAF Roof... the best

Yep gaf has some nice looking roofs. I think the best one is the timberline color weather wood good look if house is in the clay or tan family of color. Finally alot of the guys roofing guys out of Illinois like the heritage 30 Ar which the two best colors in my oppion are age wood or weather wood.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:12 AM   #4
MJW

Rewards Points: 500

GAF Roof... the best

Here are your mighty Timberlines. This is a job that we are supposed to fix. The company who shingled it a few years ago are long gone. These shingles are installed incorrectly and are nailed a little high. This is not my point. My point is that these shingles completely delaminated and rolled off the roof. There are cracks everywhere, they never sealed together. IMO, we have gone over and over this, for the shingles I use (all metric laminates), the Landmarks are the heaviest shingle. Elks are good, but they stick together. Elks seem to resist scarring the best. Timberlines are about the worst at everything.
Attached Thumbnails
GAF Roof... the best-dsc00001.jpg   GAF Roof... the best-dsc00002.jpg  
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:57 PM   #5

GAF Roof... the best

you didnt put that roof on did you?? GAF like most other brands had some cracking problems in there fiberglass base shingles in the 1980s to very early 90s. they have made good on claims from what we have seen but most of the bad shingles in this area have been Bird and also Celotex. the Gaf Timberlines in the notheast come out of Baltimore and they have very few problems. although now there making Timberlines in Millis.Ma. ive tour there factory several times and i got to tell you they make a dam good shingle. I have also been to the Certainteed factory as well "its the old Bird plant", they are a good company as well. Elk is trying to get in up here, they seem good and my guys like them "but they hate metric".

RooferJim
Old 05-31-2006, 10:23 PM   #6
MJW

GAF Roof... the best

Nope, did not do that one. Whoever did is now long gone.

I have been using some Elks lately, actually today. They are real similar to Timberline, but a little stronger. The with stand the heat as far as standing on them and not scarring. The reason I am not liking Elk lately is because of the tar they use and the way they are packaged. They stick together sooooo bad. You have to peal them apart two at a time. The tar sticks to the roof and to the hoses and yourself. It was 80 degrees today, but still. They are a bear to work with. Timberlines are the easiest to get apart, but are real thin and limpy. Landmarks stick together a little out of the bag, but they seem more stout when carrying the bundles and when you take them out one by one. As far as working with them, the old Tamko standard size laminates and the old Landmark standard size (4 bundles to a square) were by far the best.
The Elks I get are out of Ennis TX. The Landmarks are Shakopee MN, and the Timberlines I'm not sure, don't use them very much.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:33 AM   #7
anewroof

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

GAF Roof... the best

WHEN I HAD MY NEW ROOFS INSTALLED BY THE HOME DEPOT I WAS TOLD BY THE SALES MAN THAT GAF HAD TO APPROVE THE ROOF FOR QUALITY CONTROL. WHEN THE 2ND ROOF WAS APPROVED BY GAF I HAD ANOTHER ROOFING CONTRACTOR INSPECT IT. WOW WAS I SHOCKED TO FIND NO MATERIAL BETWEEN THE DECK AND THE SHINGLE AND IN OTHER PLACES THE ICE & SNOW MATERIAL DID NOT COVER THE DRIP EDGE. I WAS TOLD BY THE SALES MAN THAT IF THE ROOF INSTALLERS MADE ANY MISTAKES THE GAF INSPECTOR WOULD NOT APPROVE THE ROOF. MY WEB SITE IS www.freewebs.com/myroof

THANK YOU
DON WENZEL
OXFORD, MICHIGAN
anewroof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:48 AM   #8
Commercial Roofing

GAF Roof... the best

Regardless of your bad installers, MJW, the shingle brand has absolutley NOTHING to do with that roof failing. It is a bad install by a bad installer. Please be sure to include this info when badmouthing the wrong people.

CT landmarks are manufactured the same way, and if you high nail them, they will delaminate also. Sheesh.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:23 PM   #9
MJW

GAF Roof... the best

Well, just the past few days I tore off another roof that has Timberlines on it. They were 6 years old and were all cracked and broken and slowly leaking. They were not racked either. It was a normal stair step pattern. Maybe the new ones are better, time will tell, but all the ones I have used and seen in the past were not a premium shingle.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:35 AM   #10

GAF Roof... the best

six year old Timberline's cracking?? yeah right I dont think so. tell me another one.

RooferJim
Old 07-12-2006, 09:05 PM   #11
MJW

GAF Roof... the best

I have seen this more than once. I roofed the house 6 years ago when it was new. Contractor used Timberlines. Just replaced the roof with Elks the other day.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:43 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 75

GAF Roof... the best

For what it's worth, I will never use GAFs again.

I'm a builder and made the very large mistake of using GAF 25 year architectural Timberlines on my own house 11 years ago.

The retailer sent me mixed batches of shingles and GAF refused to help with the problem. GAF showed up to 'resolve' the issue only after 3 months.

They did nothing.

I eventually had to sue both the retailer and GAF for damages and won.

I will never use nor recommend GAF shingles as a professional again.

My personal favorites are IKO or TAMKO if you can get them in your area.

Star as far away from GAF and their shingles as you can possibly stay.

Bad juju..

VERY bad juju..

Avoid GAF like the Bubonic Plague....

In my professional and personal experience, GAF shingles are the absolute WORST that are out there....

Last edited by manhattan42; 07-12-2006 at 11:47 PM.
manhattan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:42 AM   #13
Commercial Roofing

GAF Roof... the best

On what grounds did you sue GAF?
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
Old 07-15-2006, 02:35 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 75

GAF Roof... the best

I named both the retailer and GAF in my suit based on their combined run-around and buck-passing and failure to address my legitimate complaints over a 6 month period.

GAF did not show up to defend the claims and lost the case by default.

Small wonder, they never showed up to inspect my legitmate claims for a defective product....

The retailer 'settled' before the trial and ended up paying me for the cost of the original shingles, the cost to rip them off and reinstall new ones, the cost for debris removal and the damages to my home's interior from water instrusion damages that I suffered during their period of doing nothing, and for the cost of all new shingles.

Whether the retailer ever go reimbursed as they claimed they should have been from GAF, I don't know.

All I know is that GAF did NOTHING to resolve the problem and I have told everyone within the sound of my voice to avoid GAF like the plague for the past decade or more.

Worst roofing company I've ever dealt with in 30 years...

If you want a good roofing product, GAF is not the place to find it...
manhattan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 01:08 PM   #15
Commercial Roofing

GAF Roof... the best

Why would GAF have to refund your money for the retailer sending you mixed batches of shingles? Im just not understanding your reasoning. Did they tell you they were not responsible for mixed shingle batches, the retailer is?

Advertisement