Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2008, 02:18 PM   #1

Share |

Gables and ridge vents not giving ventilation

My house has gables all the way across two sides. One of the remaining sides has two smaller gables with a short (12') soffit leading to a low pitched roof. The last side has soffits with vents but about a third of it gets blocked by a raised ceiling extending into the attic. A ridge runs down the middle of the roof and has ridge vents along its length. When we replaced the gables with Hardy plank, we took out the attic vent at the top of the gable triangle. Now the attic gets hotter than ever and summer's just beginning. I'm pretty sure that we could get adequate passive ventilation if we could allow cooler air to enter somewhere low.
I was envisioning a long slot protected by a baffle and screen along the bottom of the gables. Air-Vent has no such product but has something called Edge Vent that apparently installs along the edge of the roof-line. Not sure if it would work and be water-tight on a roof-line at about 40 degree angle. The gables are less than a year old and the roof is just a few years old. So the question is, since ridge vents work well with soffit vents, what do you do if you have gables instead?
Thanks

Texas Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:06 PM   #2

I haven't used Air Vents, The Edge Intake vent yet, since it was just introduced for the first time at this springs seminars.

I have used the Smart Vent by DCI Products for about 5-6 years so far thaough and it qworks great.

Both of these products get installed under the shingles and on top of the roof deck.

Why did you remove the ridge vent?

You should have blocked of the gable wall vents instead.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
I haven't used Air Vents, The Edge Intake vent yet, since it was just introduced for the first time at this springs seminars.

I have used the Smart Vent by DCI Products for about 5-6 years so far thaough and it qworks great.

Both of these products get installed under the shingles and on top of the roof deck.

Why did you remove the ridge vent?

You should have blocked of the gable wall vents instead.

Ed
Ed
No, we didn't remove the ridge vents. We kept the ridge vents and removed the triangular gable wall vent in one of the gables. Now there are no vents in the gables. Since we have lots of gables and very little soffit, I'm looking for ways to increase the airflow intake.
Everything I've seen on the Edge Vent and Smart Vent looks like it's for hip roofs with soffits. Since it appears to be designed for horizontal applications, I'm not sure it would hold against rain when attached to a roof that slopes up over a gable at about 40 degrees.
Thanks
Old 04-25-2008, 12:01 PM   #4

No, the Smart Vent and The Edge Intake vents are used on the lowere edge of the roof decking, typically, but can be positioned elsewhere on the roof if needed.

It is used to increase the amount of intake ventilation and installed before the shingles.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:39 PM   #5

Here's something I should have included before, a picture of the house. The back side is not shown and has soffits on about half the length of the house.
http://www.jonesimages.com/projects/080425roofattic/
Are you recommending installing these edge vents on all roof edges, even at the top of the gables?
Thanks