Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2011, 07:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Are gable vents adequate for intake ventilation?

Am a DIYer in most things but this is outside my know-how. I have 10 year old roof with curling/bare (25 yr) Certainteed shingles in Wisconsin. Will be filing claim w/manufacturer. Contractors giving me estimates say inadequate attic insulation & ventilation contributed to deterioration. The contractor I'm leaning toward proposes replacing box exhaust vents with ridge vent and leaving gable vents (east/west) in place for intake. Building does not have soffets. From what I read, gable vents are not very effective, is there a cost efficient alternative? Attic is approx 1300 sq feet, is fairly shallow, preferred contractor says they would pack insulation up higher than gable vent & install baffles to allow for airflow & would replace 12x12 gable vents (at my request with 12x24 or 12x36). Any red flags here?

Is Ed the Roofer still out there? Have been finding some of your advice to others helpful.

Bryan5665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 546
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

I am not understanding what you are calling gable vents.
Gable vents are usually located on the gable end up fairly high on the gable to allow air from the lower eave vents to exhaust through.

Could you explain a bit further?

Andy.

AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,452

Gable vents have worked for years and years and while they do not provide an ideal ventilation (ideal is a continuous undercurrent of air from the soffits to the ridge-line) they can still be sufficient.

There are products that allow for eave ventilation without soffits and most situations I see you can get some intake air from near the eave.

Ventilation is just to control moisture. Get the attic air sealed and insulated and your shingles will be fine. FYI, anyone claiming that ventilation killed your shingles is wrong.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
AndyGump (10-20-2011)
Old 10-20-2011, 07:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGump View Post
I am not understanding what you are calling gable vents.
Gable vents are usually located on the gable end up fairly high on the gable to allow air from the lower eave vents to exhaust through.

Could you explain a bit further?

Andy.
Hi Andy- the roofer is proposing that the gable vents located just under the ridge on front/back sides of building will be adequate for intake ventilation, they would install ridge vent for exhaust. It's a 1926 building with no eaves. Attic depth is only about 3-4ft. They would blow in insulation up to just under the gable vents. Will this configuration provide enough ventilation?
Thx, Bryan
Bryan5665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:13 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Where in WI?

I would check into the DCI products.
ParagonEx is offline   Reply With Quote