Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #1

Share |

Gable Vent motorized chain Motor?

So we have a whole house fan, and it was attached to a motorized gable vent. The motor would run and open up the louvers. I was rewiring the fan, and the motor's wiring is pretty shot, so until we get that fixed, I installed a power vent, as we're getting central air in a week, and I need some ventilation for the attic. Eventually we'll do soffit vents, but currently that gable vent is the only big opening we have. I'd like to use it for both the power vent on the roof and the whole house fan, but I can't figure out how to wire it so that a switch downstairs that is on a timer, AND a thermostat both can open the gable vent. So I figured an easier thing would to buy another one of those gable motors. And just have either of them open the louvers. But I can't seem to find one anywhere online? Not sure if they just don't make them anymore? Can anyone tell me where I could purchase one? They seem like a fairly standard item? Thanks

Ocelaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:53 AM   #2

If it was my house I would want a powered gable fan not just a motor that opens the louvers.
It's automatic so when the attic is hot it turns on.
Once you get the AC hooked up your really going to need some soffit and some other type of venting.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:21 AM   #3
registered

yes put a gable exhaust fan in there. I had one it was switched in my utility room or it could be on a temp sensor. I junked it when new roof was put on. Gables are now closed up on inside with plywood. I now have 11 fast back metal louver vents and continuous soffit vents.

ps. Would also recommend put a screen over gable vents.

Last edited by 747; 03-31-2013 at 05:23 AM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:35 AM   #4

I definetly will put a screen on, but this is the intake, I have a powered exhaust vent that I just put in. There aren't any other intakes at the moment. We'll put soffit vents in eventually, but this is a fix until we get the other intakes in place. We just bought the house 4 months ago, so I'm trying to get this back in order before the a/c goes in up there. The Gable vent is on the West side of the house, and the Power fan I just put in is almost fully on the East side, so it does a cross draft reasonably well for a day's work. I'll probably keep that gable vent and hook it up to the whole house fan (you can see the bottom of it in pic 2) eventually. But right now it's out of commission until I fix the motor. But the original point of this thread was to find a way to open that motorized gable vent when the thermostat kicks in, AND when I turn the switch on. I see a couple of DPST relays but they're all 24v ac coils instead of 120v coils. So I was thinking of putting 2 motors on, so either would lift the gable vent.

And before anyone says anything, I know I need a lot more insulation, but I have to air seal first. Lots to do up there, it's just not #1 priority at the moment (working bathrooms are!).

Unless I can get the gable vent to push air INTO the attic... But I think all the powered gable vents push air out... and this one isn't particularly down low.

Last edited by Ocelaris; 03-31-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Ocelaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:21 AM   #5

Once you install the soffit vents those louvers on the end will be usless and cause the soffit vents to not work properly.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=0

That roof vent will just be sucking in outside from the louved vent in stead of wind washing the rafters bays to get rid of the hot moist air.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote