Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #1

Share |

Gable roof leak between plywood -PICS

Im just looking for a little advice, I have a leak in my roof. I went in the attic to see it and took a picture, there is a black area about 4ftx4ft maybe less... and all the rest of the roof is fine. im pretty handy but have never done roofs. What would be recommended? (cut the spot out? if so how would i go about patching this? its kinda soft up top.. ) or just put new shingles? it's an 8 year old roof. by looking at the roof on the top, there is a little separation where the two plywood pieces meet, horizontally. That's where is believe the water is coming in and that's where it is leaking... any ideas? Thanks!

Its a Gable Roof with no valleys or anything.

Tryskylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
Pro Slate Roofer

Missing shingle maybe? Bullet hole in roof? Go up top and look for the anomaly over the leak area. Get some of the same type shingles and remove the bad ones and replace witht he new ones.

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
Pro Slate Roofer

Jeepers! I forgot to mention. It looks like you'll need to remove an area of about 6' wide and 5' up to replace that section of plywood before putting on the new shingles.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
Missing shingle maybe? Bullet hole in roof? Go up top and look for the anomaly over the leak area. Get some of the same type shingles and remove the bad ones and replace witht he new ones.
(: no dont think so.. although i do live in florida, so anything is possible.
here is a pic of the roof, and the area in question is at the lower left. all looks fine to the naked eye except for a little dipping due to the ply's separating. sorry i would have centered the pic but i had this on my phone and im at work... I was planning on working on it tomorrow. is it possible its maybe coming through a nail hole? if so, can i glue or caulk the tiles around the area? it was easy to lift the tiles up when i went up there...

Thanks again for your advice so far!
Old 09-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Jeepers! I forgot to mention. It looks like you'll need to remove an area of about 6' wide and 5' up to replace that section of plywood before putting on the new shingles.
Yeah thats what i was afraid of is this an accurate description of what to do? http://www.alpharubicon.com/kids/roo...rsjosephus.htm
Old 09-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #6

Those rafters sure look like there 24" on center, if they are they left out the H clips that support the plywood between the rafters to keep it from sagging.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Those rafters sure look like there 24" on center, if they are they left out the H clips that support the plywood between the rafters to keep it from sagging.
Interesting! I didn't know what an H-clip was until now.. but i guess it's too late for that. i don't have the money for someone to come and do it for me but i have access to plenty of tools, and a will to do it. could you give me an idea? like a basic step 1- what ever? doesn't have to be too in-depth (: i've looked all over youtube and google and cant find a step by step except for the link i listed above. and i dont know if that would work or is correct?
Old 09-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
Pro Slate Roofer

Not how I would do it, but correct enough. ( A homeowner seeing a contractor do it that way would have a 'fit', generally speaking.) Nothing wrong with it though.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #9

You have way to much damage to do a scab job like that.
Use a flat bar and remove all the shingles in that area so you can see just how much needs to be replaced.
From that picture it looks like you have two sheets that are effected.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Not how I would do it, but correct enough. ( A homeowner seeing a contractor do it that way would have a 'fit', generally speaking.) Nothing wrong with it though.
Thanks! ok hopefully last question. after pulling up the old shingles, should i cut out a square around the where i want to replace or does it matter? what im getting at is, when i finish replacing it and go to put felt paper on it, i know i'll have to start it underneath the old paper, but what about the sides of the paper? just glue em down?
Old 09-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #11

Quote:
You have way to much damage to do a scab job like that.
Use a flat bar and remove all the shingles in that area so you can see just how much needs to be replaced.
From that picture it looks like you have two sheets that are effected.
Yes it is on a seam... could i reuse most of the shingles or should i go ahead and use new ones?
Old 09-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #12

I would replace the shingles you remove.
As long as the sides overlap at least 12" you will be fine.
The top goes under the old tar paper the bottom lays on top.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #13

Quote:
I would replace the shingles you remove.
As long as the sides overlap at least 12" you will be fine.
The top goes under the old tar paper the bottom lays on top.
Thanks a lot for your help i really appreciate it wish me luck and dry weather tomorrow! ill try and take some pics.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #14

From what can be seen in the first pic, I would cut out 3 rafter spacings at minimum and possibly more that we can't see and whatever it takes to get to good sheathing plywood top to bottom.

End the left to right cuts at a rafter and then sister a 2x4 nailer to those rafters for a nailing surface for the new sheathing. For lacing the new shingles in that area, it may pay for you to get experienced help with that or do a lot of research on how that's done.
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview View Post
From what can be seen in the first pic, I would cut out 3 rafter spacings at minimum and possibly more that we can't see and whatever it takes to get to good sheathing plywood top to bottom.

End the left to right cuts at a rafter and then sister a 2x4 nailer to those rafters for a nailing surface for the new sheathing. For lacing the new shingles in that area, it may pay for you to get experienced help with that or do a lot of research on how that's done.
Thanks, this may be the cheapest sounding way to go, cost wise...