Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Gable mount fan with no undereave vents

I bought a house that was built in 1951. The house has really no eaves around the entire house, so there are no undereave vents. The house does have a Gable mounted vent fan. I needed to replace it because it makes some horrible rattling noises, but when I was reading the instructions, they were talking about how many undereave vents you need for this particular fan and such.

The only vents that I can see that my attic has are roof vents and the gable fan. Is that bad?

Thanks,

John

postalservice14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 30

Yep--that's bad----the ideal attic receives fresh air from the soffits and that coold dry air passes along the roof sheeting and out through the vents---

Tell us about the house? Ranch? Cape Cod?
Any new roof going on soon?

I once saw a retrofit vent for the facia posted by The Lone Framer---but that bookmark vanished with a fried computer--

Old 05-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply. It's a ranch style, around 1700 square feet. The attic, I'm guessing, is around 1000-1200 square feet though.

I've got about ~10 years left on my roof I'm guessing.

I'm looking at something like this: http://www.gaf.com/Roofing/Residenti...asciaFlow_Vent

But I'd be very interested in what other idea the Lone Farmer had.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 30

That looks like what he posted a picture of-----perhaps a different brand but the same idea---

Do get them installed----and be sure the insulation in the attic is not blocking the soffit area--there are baffles available that will keep the insulation away from the roof deck.
postalservice14 (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #5

Great, thanks for your help.

So do you think the fan is useless right now? Is it doing more harm then good? Should I just turn it off?

John
Old 05-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 108

All that fans doing is causing a negative pressure in the attic and sucking the heated or cool air out of the main home.
Got a picture or two of the house, showing the fashia areas?
http://www.dciproducts.com/html/smartvent.htm
Old 05-08-2013, 10:48 PM   #7

A couple things.

I just remembered. My intake duct for my furnace comes from the attic into my garage. The whole for that duct is much bigger then the duct itself (I'd say around 8 square feet. So my guess is the fan is drawing a lot of it's air from the garage. And the garage is hardly air tight. :-) Anyway, still probably should have some vents under my eaves, but thought that was worth mentioning.

Pictures attached. Hopefully, they were what you were looking for.
Attached Thumbnails
Gable mount fan with no undereave vents-dscn2974.jpg   Gable mount fan with no undereave vents-dscn2975.jpg   Gable mount fan with no undereave vents-dscn2976.jpg   Gable mount fan with no undereave vents-dscn2977.jpg  
Old 05-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 108

I just hate it when I see a house built that way.
Over hangs help the siding and trim last longer, there not only a place to add the needed vent.
Looks like your stuck with adding them to the roof.

Take a straw and suck on one end and place your finger over the other end. That how that fan is working, with no make up air it's doing nothing.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #9
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 22

Just put a gable end louver in the opposite end of your home, and clean your camera lens.

Under deck ventilation has very little to do with cooling the roof shingles. It has to do with eliminating the threat of ice dams, and the problem of mold that occurs from the dew point falling just under the deck, and this occurs from heat loss from the interior.

Millions of homes were built in the 50's with little to no ventilation at the eaves and ridge, and still the shingle roofs installed back then lasted 30 years or so, and ice dams never occurred.

Now why do you suppose that is?

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:24 PM   #10

"The only vents that I can see that my attic has are roof vents and the gable fan. Is that bad?"---------- probably. Depends on; 1. how many, what NFVA of roof vents; 2. where the house is located; 3. if you see evidence of ice dams, asphalt shingle curling or moisture on attic framing; 4. CFM of the fan; 5. if the attic is air-sealed or not; 6. if bath fan exhaust is in attic; 7. if HVAC is in attic; 8. type, amount of insulation.

Gary
PS. Welcome to the forums!
Old 05-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 10

It must be something amazing that my old 50's house didn't fall in on itself, suffer from a virulent mold issue, or have some other terrible goings on.

No eaves, no roof vents. Only those two lowly gable vents, one with a fan that I added on in the 70's, and the roof was still looking good many years after I moved on.

ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:17 PM   #12

Every house is different; http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf1999/tenwo99a.pdf

Gary

Tags
eaves, gable fans, roof vent, vents