Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2007, 04:04 PM   #1
ICF built home

Share |

Future Problem?

Attached are two photos showing the roof on my new house where the shingles meet the gutter. There are a number of areas where it appears the drip flashing is pushing up underneath the shingles causing them to buckle. The camera does not do the best job of conveying the depth of the ridge/buckle. It is not limited to these pictures but is apparent in many areas along the gutter.

To me it would seem that the bend in these shingles like this would cause them to fail quicker. Over time I would expect them to crack and fail along the ridge of the buckle.

I am thinking that I need to get the builder over to take a look and then have the roofing or gutter sub come back and correct this so the shingles lay flat. I am not a roofer and would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 04:39 PM   #2
Pro Slate Roofer

Future Problem?

I doubt it. I don't do many shingles, but I've seen many roofs at the end of their life, with bottms like that, but no ill effects.
Not that it looks good. Was it a 'roof-over'?

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 04:42 PM   #3
Pro Slate Roofer

Future Problem?

The more I look at it, the more it looks like '70's construction when they started running the plywood flush or up the roof from the rafter tails. Then the fascia doesn't come up flush with the deck, causing the 'dip'. I've seen some that the plywood was far enough back that drip-edge didn't even help it.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:16 AM   #4
ICF built home

Future Problem?

No, this wasn't a 'roof over'. It is brand new construction. The roof is not even 1yr old yet. The deck sheathing is 1/2", exposure rated, plywood. I would have to check to see if I have a photo from construction showing where the plywood lines up with the raftertails. From what I remember it extended right down to the edge.

The problem I have is that it is not consistant along the roof edge and I am concerned that this could lead to premature failure. Not to mention that Tinner666 is right that it just dosen't look good. It catches your eye right away and makes you think "what's going on here"?

Any other roofers out there have an opinion on this? Is this all you can expect quality wise in new home construction these days?

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2007, 10:14 AM   #5

Future Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post

Is this all you can expect quality wise in new home construction these days?

Thanks!
Yes!

If you want to hear some new construction nightmares, go to www.hobb.org

Try to take a photo showing the under side of the shingle. You may have to gently lift one full shingle up.

I want to see if they used 90* ODE metal edging instead of angled Gutter Apron flashings. When you install a 90* bent piece of metal edging to a sloped surface, the front edge of the metal lifts up, and that is a possibility here also.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:38 PM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

Future Problem?

It's hard to tell from those pictures,but if the roof was alright before the gutters were hung,maybe the problem happened when the gutter straps were screwed into the facia.If they caught the drip edge with their drill or fastened through it,the drip may have lifted in the back.causing the lift?
oldfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:41 PM   #7
ICF built home

Future Problem?

Ed I'll see about getting that picture. It will be over the weekend as it is dark by the time I get home these days.

Oldfrt, Yes, I believe that is exactly what has happened with the drip edge. They fastened through it when instaling the gutters. I'll get a picture of this too.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:36 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

Future Problem?

to me it just looks like ,you have too much overhang at the fascia eave(1 1/2" is enough),I don`t see the drip edge lifting ??,it`s better to have a drip edge set behind the gutter ,less chance of back up,but the last lip on the drip should be left out so it sits flat on the fascia

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote