Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2006, 06:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

framing a roof on stone outbuilding

Just dipping my toes in the water here...on our property sits a 100+ year old stone spring house. The roof is wood framed covered (where it still exists) with slate. Mostly, it's rotten with holes exposed here and there. Not sure how it has withstood recent winter snows! There is also a wooden door (now flapping in the breeze, barely) and a wooden door frame: also rotting.

Question is: Is this too much to attempt to replace as a DIY project? Where would one begin? I know it sounds ridiculous, but I have no idea how the wood timbers are actually attached to the stone building.

Does it make sense to take it apart piece by piece noting how it was constructed - or is it best to remove the whole thing in a major demolition and start from scratch?

OK, if we say "Uncle" - do we call a roofer first, or do we have to have someone do the frame construction first?
We're pretty willing to tackle tough stuff, but this one has us a bit stymied.:confused:

Thanks in advance. Hope this has made some sense!

whoshowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:41 AM   #2

What do you want to do with the old house restore it to it's natural state to the best you can? Or do you want to save money on a garage? Do you want to save the stone and that's it? Sounds like a lot of work but I don't know how big it is either....

Bob

bob the builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:24 AM   #3
Commercial Roofing

Timber framer. Call him.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob the builder
What do you want to do with the old house restore it to it's natural state to the best you can? Or do you want to save money on a garage? Do you want to save the stone and that's it? Sounds like a lot of work but I don't know how big it is either....

Bob
It's mostly an aesthetic thing as the spring house sits right in our front yard- the building actually has water in it, it's like a covered reservoir so it's not good for much of anything. I would like to keep it "humble" and as original as possible. I realize slate is not realistic - I wondered about metal roofing for it...It's not too large, the building is roughly 11' x 13'. The height to the peak is about 10'. Any thoughts? Will this be prohibitively expensive?

Howie
whoshowie is offline   Reply With Quote