Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2010, 04:46 PM   #1

Share |

Florida flat roof and Elastomeric coatings

Hello All. I life in South Florida and part of my roof is a flat roof (rolled 5 layer system) (about 700 sq. ft.). The rest of the roof is pitched with attic space. I've just had the rest of the attic re-insulated but there is no insulation in the flat part. You can feel the heat radiate from it during the day and it keeps the A/C unit running constantly. The insulation guy told me to paint it with a reflective paint. I’ve looked into several options and I always see “NOT FOR USE ON 0* PITCH ROOFS” even on the Elastomeric products. My roof is not leaking, it is about 7 years old and I recently repaired (professionally) 2 blisters that I found. Any help in recommending a product that I can use to keep the temp down would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Florida flat roof and Elastomeric coatings-img00090-20100506-1822.jpg  
StereoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:45 PM   #2

Why not insulate the flat part ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #3
Commercial Roofing

White aliphatic batch mix polyurea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Free inspection within 12 miles
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:33 AM   #4

Dave: I looked into insulating it. They were going to drill holes into the eves and spray insulation into each cavity but there are several cross beams in each cavity that would prevent it. I found that out while I was trying to run wires for high hat lights, and they wouldn't have been able to spray into the bays with the high hats anyway.
AaronB: Thanks I will look into that.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:18 AM   #5

700 sq ft of roof in the Florida summer sun is just going to bake
Unless you pull the ceiling down & insulate its always going to be hotter then the rest of the house
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
Shut in w/o Home

There's also the possible option of adding tapered insulation whenever that "flat" roof is redone and kill two birds with one shotgun blast.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:14 AM   #7

Thanks guys. I'm not ready to rip off the roof or rip down the ceiling. Like I said it's not leaking. I know that a reflective paint won't cure my problems but it should help, I've been told as much as 30%.

AaronB: Is there a specific brand that you like to use? I don't think that you can get this in Home Depot. Other than ordering it on line, where would I go to purchase it? Would you recommend power washing the roof first? That makes me nervous as a power washer could cause damage.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:52 AM   #8
Commercial Roofing

yes, definitely powers wash the roof. Don't allow it to be damaged, though. I do it all the time. You would probably want to google it to find a distributor in your area.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Free inspection within 12 miles
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote