Flintlastic SA Over Existing Torch Down Roof? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Flintlastic SA over existing torch down roof?

After posting questions regarding what to do with a shed roof, Proper transition between shed roof and shingled roof? , I have decided to use Fintlastic self adhesive. Poking around the Certainteed web pages I have found reference to applying it over an existing roof - but I am unable to find any technical documents about doing so. THe shed roof appears to have a torch applied roof coating. The shed roof surface does not show any degradation (but it does have wrinkles in the surface - and I realize the new surface will have the same wrinkles reading thru (see picture links in the original message)). Twice I have applied an aluminized asphalt based roof coating to minimize future weathering. I don't have an issue with the shed roof but I see not reason to lap over it with the shingles only to have to lift the shingles up in a few years when the shed roof needs replacement.

So any advice on applying the Flintlastic over an existing roof? Will I have adhesion issues w/ the brush on coating that I applied?

Advertisement

aribert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:42 AM   #2
gwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by aribert View Post
After posting questions regarding what to do with a shed roof, Proper transition between shed roof and shingled roof? , I have decided to use Fintlastic self adhesive. Poking around the Certainteed web pages I have found reference to applying it over an existing roof - but I am unable to find any technical documents about doing so. THe shed roof appears to have a torch applied roof coating. The shed roof surface does not show any degradation (but it does have wrinkles in the surface - and I realize the new surface will have the same wrinkles reading thru (see picture links in the original message)). Twice I have applied an aluminized asphalt based roof coating to minimize future weathering. I don't have an issue with the shed roof but I see not reason to lap over it with the shingles only to have to lift the shingles up in a few years when the shed roof needs replacement.

So any advice on applying the Flintlastic over an existing roof? Will I have adhesion issues w/ the brush on coating that I applied?
The Flintlastic should be under the shingles, not over them. Based on the appearance of your shingles, they look like old organic shingles that will require replacement in the next year or so. Your existing modified bitumen roof on the shed looks much better than the shingles. I would replace the shingles.

The Flintlastic SA modified bitumen must be installed at least 24" up the slope under the shingles to prevent water and snow melt from getting under them.

A concrete primer should be fine over the existing roof before installing the new Flintlastic modified bitumen. Although it is called concrete primer, it is used to prime anything that a bituminous roof is installed to. Any commercial roofing supply house should stock it.

Advertisement

gwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:32 AM   #3

gwa

Thanks for the reply. I guess that I was not clear in my posting, the need to replace the shingles is what is promping me to redo the shed roof so that the shed roof surface will shingle under the new 3-tab shingles.

Thank you for the info on the concrete primer! This is the kind of info that I was hoping to find in the tech specs.
aribert is offline   Reply With Quote