Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2008, 12:40 PM   #1

Share |

Flat Tar Roof is Leaking - Help!

Hi, we just moved into a relatively recently renovated building / house in NYC last in March. It is a 3 story building with a typical flat tar roof, approximately 60' x 20', which seemed pretty intact to our amateur eyes. At least until we started having leaks. The leaks started about 2 months ago, and have been getting worse and worse lately. We know that the building has been renovated at least within the last 10 years, if not sooner (though we realize that doesn't mean that they did a good job when they did the work.) When we notice a new leak, we have tried to do spot repairs as well as we can, however, we are not roofing experts, nor do we really know what we are looking for from the topside. We have thought about having the roof re-tarred, but are very worried that the price tag for such a repair will be way out of our budget. We are all relatively handy, and certainly don't mind getting our hands dirty, but we realize that this is important enough that we don't want to mess it up. Can you offer any advice on repair work that we can effectively do ourselves, or even a broad budget range of what we might be looking at to have a professional come in and do the repair work?

Thank you much!

Last edited by isifile; 12-30-2008 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Added Roof Dimensions
isifile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:30 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

sounds like you need some professional work---If you want opinions,you need to post pictures of the roof

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:47 PM   #3

So I've added some photos of the roof. When we moved in, it was black tar. We added the silver coating to help with the heat over the summer. It's not best coating job, but it certainly seemed to help.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
-Andrea
isifile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:29 PM   #4

That is not a tar roof,it looks like a torch-down.Probably APP.Its hard to see the shape of the membrane from your photos.If it isn't too far gone,it could be easily repaired(by a professional).I would check all seams,and then inspect around all protusions for membrane seperation.This material can simply be reheated in suspect areas(or patched with same material).I do not recommend using a torch yourself because if you burnt down your house,most house insurance won't cover it.(at least where I'm from)
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:29 PM   #5

APP ROOF,DOUBT YOU COULD REHEAT AND CLEAN SEAMS WITH THAT COATING ON--i WOULD LOOK FOR ALL CRACKS ,AND SPLITS,-APPLY ASPHALT PRIMER,Let dry,apply rubberized roof cement(karnak ultra) thinly with a trowel,lay in 4-6" fiberglass roof membrane(trowel it into the tar),then add a heavier coat of the tar,after it has dried,coat it with some "fibered"aluminum roof coating--remember when you coat ,`it`s not paint-don`t roll back and forth,but 1 direction only,and be sure to push the fibered coating into the lap edges

Old 01-07-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
Commercial Roofing

Can you possibly take any rooftop pictures of the area at which the leak is showing up inside?

I see some impropoer application practices and would like to get zoned in on the leaky area.

Also, I thought that APP torch systems were outlawed in NYC????
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:56 PM   #7

Not supposed to have propane tanks on the roofs,and the FDNY doesn`t care much for torchdown,because a fire will smolder under it,and it`s very dangerous,like a mulch fire