Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2010, 07:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Flat Tar Roof Leak

Hi,

I have a flat tar roof that slopes ever so slightly to the rear corner of the house. In that same rear corner of the house, I have a leak that is clearly coming from the roof.

I tried putting some roof tar (Henry 505) in that rear corner. It helped but there is still a steady leak.

I noticed that there are some ripples in the tar roof leading to the place where the leak seems to be entering the house. By 'ripples' I mean that there seem to be bubbles under the top layer of tar. If I push on these parts of the tar with my fingers, I push the top layer down an inch or more.

The house is old (1930's) and I think there are many layers of tar on this roof.

Should I rip up all of the rippled tar? If so, do I need to have the whole roof re-tarred?

Or, can I take off the rippled tar and just replace that (3' x 5') section? The whole roof is 20' x 60'.

I just added some pictures. The grayish area is where I added the Henry 505.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Red
Attached Thumbnails
Flat Tar Roof Leak-001.jpg   Flat Tar Roof Leak-002.jpg   Flat Tar Roof Leak-006.jpg   Flat Tar Roof Leak-007.jpg   Flat Tar Roof Leak-008.jpg  

Last edited by RedBear; 03-07-2010 at 04:10 PM.
RedBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:52 AM   #2
Residential Roofer

Flat Tar Roof Leak

Can't really say with out a picture or two.

I have repaired many roofs that the home owners thought would have to be torn off and re-done, but with out a picture or on site inspection it's hard to say.

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
Commercial Roofing

Flat Tar Roof Leak

I agree with Sly
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:59 AM   #4

Flat Tar Roof Leak

Now that we have some warm days ahead, I will jump up on the roof and take some pictures. I have been putting this off due to the snow while catching the melted snow in buckets in my house in the meantime.

Red
Old 03-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 16

Flat Tar Roof Leak

You need to look for places where the tar may be peeling or places where there are seams of any kind. Sometimes a break may be hard to see and if you are lucky when you press on a dry area suddently water appears giving away a crack.

Also the break or crack may be some distance away from where the water drips inside.

Places where water ponds (collects) are very suspect since if there is a break there, the water could continue to leak inside until what has accumulated there is gone (has gone inside).
RedBear (03-08-2010)
Old 03-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #6

Flat Tar Roof Leak

Alright I added a few pictures to my original post.

The gray area is the Henry stuff I added. There are no cracks where I put the Henry stuff. However, there are quite a few basketball-size areas around my patch that are cracked. Hopefully, you can see me pushing down on one area where the top level of tar gives way. The white thing sticking up is flashing that somebody put to guide the water to the downspout, I guess.

Since there are many basketball-size areas where there are cracks across the whole roof, should I get the whole roof refinished?

Does one usually tear up these areas where the top layer is bulging/rippling before putting on a new layer of tar? I am not proposing tear up all of the tar down to the wood roof in these areas, but just the top layer of tar that is bulging/rippling.

Is this roof in horrible shape or moderately bad?

Hope the pictures help. Let me know if you need further information about the pictures.

Much thanks,

Red

Last edited by RedBear; 03-07-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:10 PM   #7
Commercial Roofing

Flat Tar Roof Leak

Truthfully, I would only go to the roof deck and start all over again... it looks as if someone has been trying to nurse this thing along for sometime now, and you're only prolonging the inevitable.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AaronB For This Useful Post:
RedBear (03-08-2010)
Old 03-08-2010, 06:40 AM   #8
Residential Roofer

Flat Tar Roof Leak

You have had plain ole roof cement gunked on there so many times that's its impossible to see the actual problem anymore.
I can't say you need a complete new roof but those pictures surely suggest it.

Most roofers give free estimates, I would call a few and get their opinions.

Note, I said a few, always get numerous opinions/estimates.

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slyfox For This Useful Post:
RedBear (03-08-2010)